|Born||23 August 1922|
|Died||2 September 2011
Early life and education
Jehangir Ardeshir Sabavala was born to an affluent Parsi family in Bombay (now Mumbai), India. His mother belonged to the aristocratic Cowasjee Jehangir family. He studied at Cathedral and John Connon School, Elphinstone College, and earned a diploma from Mumbai's Sir J. J. School of Art in 1944. Thereafter he went to Europe and studied at the Heatherley School of Fine Art, London, (1945–47), and in Academie Andre Lhote, Paris (1948–51), the Académie Julian (1953–54), and finally at the Académie de la Grande Chaumière in 1957.
Sabavala did not allow archives of his 12 scrapbooks on materials from the early 1940s to the 2000 online. Arun Khopkar's film on Sabavala's life and art, Colours of Absence, won the National Award in 1994. In 2010, another film about his life was made, The Inheritance of Light: Jehangir Sabavala. His last solo exhibition, 'Ricorso', was held at the Sakshi Gallery, Mumbai, in 2008.
In 2010, one of his serene landscapes called Casuarina Line fetched Rs 17 million at a Saffronart auction.
- Padma Shri by the Government of India - 1977
- Lalit Kala Ratna, the Fellowship of Lalit Kala Akademi, India's National Academy of Arts, by the President of India - 2007
Books on the Artist
- Dilip Chitre, The Reasoning Vision: Jehangir Sabavala's Painterly Universe. (Tata McGraw Hill, Mumbai 1980) ISBN 978-0-07-096622-2
- Ranjit Hoskote, Pilgrim, Exile, Sorcerer: The Painterly Evolution of Jehangir Sabavala. (Eminence Designs, Mumbai 1998) ISBN 81-900602-2-8
- Ranjit Hoskote, The Crucible of Painting: The Art of Jehangir Sabavala. (Eminence Designs/ National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai 2005) ISBN 81-902170-9-7
- Ranjit Hoskote, 'The Old Man and His Oils', Tehelka, 21 January 2006
- Ranjit Hoskote, 'Jehangir Sabavala's world was deceptively serene', The Times of India, 3 September 2011
- Ranjit Hoskote, 'A Serene Disruption', Tehelka, 17 September 2011
- Jerry Pinto, 'The painter of signs', The Hindu, 3 September 2011
- Jehangir Sabavala, 'A rebel with many causes', Seminar #528/ City of Dreams
- "Sabavala profile in ''India News'' online". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "Jehangir Sabavala: A painter & gentleman bows out". The Times of India. 3 September 2011.
- "For Old Times' Sake". Indian Express. 21 February 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- Arun Khopkar, 'Colours of absence', tribute to Jehangir Sabavala in The Hindu, 10 September 2011
- Interview with Jehangir Sabavala on 'Ricorso' (The Hindu, 12 October 2008)
- Neelam Raaj (8 June 2012). "Jehangir Sabavala's painting fetches Rs 2.1cr". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- "Padma Awards Directory (1954-2009)" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 May 2013.