|Died||May 20, 2008 (aged 65)|
|Cause of death||terrorism-linked explosion in a public minibus|
|Other names||"Hezy" Shoshani|
|Known for||advocate of elephant conservation|
Founder of Elephant Research Foundation in 1977
|Home town||Detroit, Michigan|
|Institutions||Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, 1998-2008 University of Asmara in Eritrea|
Shoshani established the Elephant Research Foundation in 1977 and was the editor of its publication,Elephant. He published about 200 scientific articles and books on elephants and edited the publication Elephant. He taught at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, for approximately 25 years and at the University of Asmara in Eritrea starting in 1998. In 2007 he moved to Ethiopia to teach at the University of Addis Ababa. Hezy was a passionate advocate of elephant conservation.
Shoshani was among several people killed in a terrorism-linked explosion in a public minibus in downtown Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on May 20, 2008.
- Shoshani, Jeheskel; Walter, Robert C.; Abraha, Michael; Berhe, Seife; Tassy, Pascal; Sanders, William J.; Marchant, Gary H.; Libsekal, Yosief; Ghirmai, Tesfalidet; Zinner, Dietmar (November 14, 2006). "A proboscidean from the late Oligocene of Eritrea, a 'missing link' between early Elephantiformes and Elephantimorpha, and biogeographic implications". PNAS. 103 (46): 17296–17301. doi:10.1073/pnas.0603689103. PMC 1859925. PMID 17085582.
- Shozo Yokoyama; Naomi Takenaka; Dalen W. Agnew; Jeheskel Shoshani (May 1, 2005). "Elephants and Human Color-Blind Deuteranopes Have Identical Sets of Visual Pigments". Genetics. 170 (1): 335–344. doi:10.1534/genetics.104.039511. PMC 1449733. PMID 15781694.
- Ofri Ilani (May 22, 2008). נהרג חוקר פילים ישראלי בפיגוע באתיופיה [Israeli researcher of elephants killed in attack in Ethiopia]. Haaretz (in Hebrew). Associated Press. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Erez Erlichman (May 25, 2008). עמית של חוקר הפילים שנהרג: הטבע איבד חבר [Fellow researcher of elephants killed: Nature lost a friend] (in Hebrew). Ynet. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Jeheskel (Hezy) Shoshani Library Endowed Collection, formerly known as the Elephant Research Foundation Library (Wayne State University Libraries)
|This article about a biologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|