Jelena Karleuša at 2017 Belgrade Pride
|Born||17 August 1978|
Belgrade, SFR Yugoslavia
|Occupation||Singer, media personality|
(m. 2004; div. 2004)
Duško Tošić (m. 2008)
Jelena Karleuša Tošić (Serbian Cyrillic: Јелена Карлеуша Тошић; born 17 August 1978) is a Serbian singer, socialite and media personality. She started her career in 1995, released ten albums and has become one of the best selling and most influential artists of 21st century in Serbia, as well as one of the most controversial.
In its November 2013 issue, W magazine featured Karleuša in an article about pop stars outside the United States. In 2015, Karleuša accused Kim Kardashian of copying her fashion style and was featured on The Wendy Williams Show showing this time that Beyoncé was wearing very similar looks that Karleuša had worn previously. She also acquired fame in Turkey because of her husband's engagement for Besiktas J.K..
Life and career
Jelena Karleuša was born in Belgrade, Serbia, to father Dragan (1947), a senior police officer, and radio host mother Divna (1957). Karleuša was raised in the Fontana neighborhood of New Belgrade. She attended "Ivan Gundulić" school at New Belgrade. She graduated at Zemun Gymnasium, went to music school and was a member of a choir.
She debuted as a turbo-folk singer in the mid-90s and gained popularity with her album, Ogledalce (1995), selling more than 100,000 copies in Yugoslavia. Later on, she released five more records, but as her career progressed, she tried to be perceived as a performer of pop music exclusively with her 2002 album Samo za tvoje oči, a collaboration with Greek songwriter Phoebus. She has since had several top-selling hits, most of which were covers of oriental performers' hits, with added lyrics written by Marina Tucaković.
In 2005 Karleuša released Magija, followed by hit-singles Slatka mala and Upravo ostavljena among other songs. Even after the infamous studio session of the lead single Tihi ubica and discussions about her vocal abilities, three years later Karleuša delivered her best-selling album yet, titled JK Revolution.
In December 2009 She released Insomnia, featuring Mirza Hamzić. The eccentric electropop single gained her much popularity and in 2010 she held All About Diva Show, a 20,000 people concert in the Belgrade Arena. Her jubilee tenth studio album Diva was released on 11 June 2012 and was one of her most successful albums. Her second Belgrade concert - Viva la Diva Show was held in Ušće, June 2013 in front of 40,000 fans. Due to technical problems and media backlash the concert was described as a failure and Karleuša withdrew from the public. Since of 2015, she has been a member of the judging panel on "Zvezde Granda" talent show. Her eleventh album is expected to be released, as she announced it by performing two duets on June 28 2017 in the finale of Zvezde Granda, with Aca Lukas called Bankina and with Azis called O.S.T.A.V.LJ.A.M.T.E.
Karleuša was briefly, only for two months, married to Bojan Karić, nephew of a controversial Serbian businessman Bogoljub Karić, in 2004. On 28 June 2008, Karleuša married Serbian football player Duško Tošić. On 7 September 2008, she gave birth to their first daughter, Atina, and their second, Nika, on 7 September 2009.
Karleuša has openly supported Serbian Liberal Democratic Party. She has also appeared in various political shows, often talks about social issues via her Twitter account and criticises the government for not resolving them.
Public image and other ventures
Karleuša has been promoting various causes and ideas like LGBT rights, cosmopolitanism, atheism, veganism, animal rights, social equality, having a choice when it comes to MMR vaccination. And as a public figure she was cited as youths biggest influence next to Novak Djokovic. Karleuša is also the most followed show business personality on Instagram in Serbia and has been a recognised fashion icon.
Awards and nominations
|1999||Serbian Oscar Of Popularity||Album of the Year "Gili, gili"||Won|
|2001||Serbian Oscar Of Popularity||Best Female Dance Singer||Won|
|2004||Serbian Oscar Of Popularity||Best Female Musician||Won|
|2005||Serbian Oscar Of Popularity||Album of the Year "Magija"||Won|
|2008||Serbian Oscar Of Popularity||Album of the Year "JK Revolution"||Won|
|2010||GayEcho Annual Gay Icon Awards 2010||Gay Icon of the Year||Won|
|2010||Loud & Queer Annual Awards 2010||LGBT person of the Year||Won|
|2011||Serbian Oscar Of Popularity||Best Female Folk Singer||Nominated|
|2011||Oscar Of Popularity (Banja Luka, Bosnia & Herzegovina)||Best Female Pop Singer||Won|
- "Kim Kardashian Copying Jelena Karleusa's Style? Stealing Or Not, Kim's Paris Looks Were Very Similar To This Serbian Pop Star's!". hollywoodtake. Hollywood Take. 13 March 2015. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Is Beyonce a Copycat?". The Wendy Williams Show. wendyshow. 6 May 2015. Archived from the original on 9 May 2015. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Çilgin yenge Jelena Karleusa" (in Turkish). 2016.
- "Dragan Karleuša". Vreme. 30 August 2001. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- "KARLEUŠIN OTAC: Tužiću Jelenu Golubović!". Telegraf. 5 September 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- "Za Jelenu Karleušu poseban tretman". RTVBN. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- "JK "Insomnia" ruši rekorde". Tračara.com. 4 January 2010. Retrieved 17 November 2010.
- "Počinje snimanje nove sezone: Evo ko su novi članovi žirija "Zvezda Granda"!". Blic. blic. 15 September 2015. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Biografija – Jelena Karleusa". Poznati. 4 July 2010. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- "Održana parada ponosa, kuma Karleuša održala govor" (in Serbian). Tračara.com. 2017.
- "Serbian singerJelena Karleusa: 'I'd rather go naked than wear fur!'". Peta.de. 2018.
- "Karleuša otkriva: Lično sam svedok štetnog delovanja MMR vakcine" (in Serbian). Tračara.com. 2018.
- "Đoković i Karleuša idoli maturanata" (in Serbian).
- "Jelena Karleuša gej ikona godine". Scandal. 27 December 2010. Archived from the original on 30 December 2010. Retrieved 27 December 2010.
- "JK dobila nagradu za LGBT licnost godine". Opera-17. 10 February 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "Oskar popularnosti: Sportisti vladaju". Mondo. Mobile Telephony of Serbia. 1 February 2011. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- "13. Oskar popularnosti u Bosni i Hercegovini prošao bez skandala". novatv.hr. 26 February 2011. Retrieved 2 March 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jelena Karleuša.|