December 16, 1976 |
Crystal Lake, Illinois
|Institutions||University of Maryland, College Park
University of Chicago
|Doctoral advisor||James Hendler|
Jennifer Golbeck is a computer scientist. She currently is an Associate Professor at the College of Information Studies, University of Maryland, College Park. Golbeck was director of the University of Maryland Human–Computer Interaction Lab from 2011 to 2014.
Jennifer Golbeck completed her Doctor of Philosophy in computer science from the University of Maryland, College Park. She also earned an SM and SB in Computer Science and an AB in Economics from the University of Chicago.
Jennifer Golbeck is known for her work on computational social network analysis. She developed methods for inferring information about relationships and people in social networks. Her models for computing trust between people in social networks are among the first in the field. Social trust was for used in early research on trust-based recommender systems. She was a program co-chair of ACM RecSys 2015.
Golbeck has received attention for her work on computing personality traits and political preferences of individuals based on their social network profiles. Her presentation at TEDxMidatlantic, discussing the need for new methods of educating users about how to protect their personal data, was selected as one of TED's 2014 Year in Ideas talks. She presented at TEDxGeorgetown, about pets on the internet.
Media and publications
- Social Media Investigation Singress (2015) ISBN 0-12-801656-6
- Analyzing the Social Web Morgan Kaufmann (2013) ISBN 0-12-405531-1
- Computing with Social Trust (ed.) Springer (2008) ISBN 1-848-00355-2
- Trust on the World Wide Web: A Survey Now Publishers (2008) ISBN 1-601-98116-3
- Art Theory for Web Design Addison-Wesley (2005) ISBN 1-57-676142-8
-  "Jennifer Golbeck | Maryland's iSchool - College of Information Studies"
- Bederson, Benjamin B. "HCIL - Overview". www.cs.umd.edu. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
-  "Jennifer Golbeck CV"
-  "Using Social Trust for Recommender Systems", ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, 2009
- PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS of ACM RecSys 2015
-  "Facebook profiles reveal personality traits to researchers", Washington Post, July 18, 2011
- Golbeck, Jennifer; Hansen, Derek (2013). "A Method for Computing Political Preference Among Twitter Followers". Social Networks.
- Jennifer Golbeck: The curly fry conundrum: Why social media 'likes' say more than you might think
- TED 2014 Year in Ideas
-  TEDxGeorgetown - Jennifer Golbeck - The Internet and Pets
-  "Jennifer Golbeck - Slate Authors"
- "Search for "golbeck" - The Kojo Nnamdi Show". The Kojo Nnamdi Show. Retrieved 25 March 2017.