Jeneen Frei Njootli
Jeneen Frei Njootli
Jeneen Frei Njootli is an interdisciplinary Vuntut Gwitchin artist known primarily for their work with sound and textiles, performance, fashion, workshops, and barbeques.
As one of the five finalist of the 2018 Sobey Art Award, Njoottli's work, wind sucked in through bared teeth (2017) is included in an eponymous exhibition featuring the finalists at the National Gallery of Canada.
Njootli has worked on several projects and presentations with artist Olivia Whetung. Whetung wrote Fugitive Dust to accompany Njootli’s solo exhibition I Can’t Make You Those Mitts Because There Is a Hole in My Heart and My Hands Hurt (2018).
- Ishi: The Archive Performance with James Luna, la Jolla Playhouse, San Diego CA
- The language your tongue might find could be haunting, Sled Island Music Festival, Calgary AB 
- Melanocite, aceart, Winnipeg MB 
- La Pocha Nostra, Live Biennale with La Pocha Nostra at VIVO, Vancouver BC 
- Native Stories: Sounds, Stories & Shadows with James Luna, Live Biennale at VIVO, Vancouver BC 
- She Showed Me What I Had Done, or What I Had Been Doing, Macaulay Co. & Fine Art, Vancouver BC 
- Artist Talk and Performance at Audain Gallery, Super Cool Tuesdays, Vancouver BC 
Awards and Honours
In 2018, Njootli was the Sobey Art Award Finalist for the West Coast and Yukon categories. In 2017, Njootli was also longlisted for the Sobey Art Award for the West Coast and Yukon categories, and in the same year, awarded the Contemporary Art Society of Vancouver's Artist Prize. In 2016, Njootli was awarded the Hnatyshyn Foundation, William & Meredith Saunderson Prize for Emerging Canadian Artist Lectures, Workshops & Curating.
- Dick, Linnea (2017). "Red rose and lidii by Jeneen Frei Njootli". C: International Contemporary Art. 135: 49 – via EBSCOhost.
- "WE ARE: the ReMatriate Collective". 12 October 2016. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Ever-present and Continuous: Jeneen Frei Njootli in Sobey Art Award 2018". www.gallery.ca. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Jeneen Frei Njootli | Vuntut Gwich'in Artist | Macaulay Fine Art". Macaulay & Co. Fine Art. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Vuntut Gwitchin artist Jeneen Frei Njootli works in 'sound and dust and residue'". Yukon News. 5 April 2018. Retrieved 10 March 2021.
- "Jeneen Frei Njootli | Vuntut Gwich'in Artist | Macaulay Fine Art". Macaulay & Co. Fine Art. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Cultural lineage: Reclaiming the Indigenous art of skin stitching". CBC News. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Ryner, Denise (2018). Common Cause: before and beyond the global. Toronto, ON: Mercer Union. ISBN 978-1-926627-45-8.
- "ISHI: The Archive Performance (by James Luna) at UCSD | The UC Collaboratory for Ethnographic Design". quote.ucsd.edu. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- Inc., Structured Abstraction. "the language your tongue might find could be haunting: Sled Island". www.sledisland.com. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "aceart inc. Search Results jeneen". www.aceart.org. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Bodies and food get through art world defences at Live! Performance Art Biennale". Vancouver Sun. 23 October 2015. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "James Luna and Jeneen Frei Njootli |". livebiennale.ca. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Beau Dick / Nicholas Galanin / Jeneen Frei Njootli - Macaulay & Co. Fine Art". Macaulay & Co. Fine Art. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Geometry of Knowing - SFU Galleries - Simon Fraser University". www.sfu.ca. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Claiming Space - Museum of Anthropology at UBC". Museum of Anthropology at UBC. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "2018 Sobey Art Award : West Coast & Yukon - Jeneen Frei Njootli | CBC Radio". CBC. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "25 Artists Longlisted for $50K Sobey Art Award". Canadian Art. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Alumna Jeneen Frei Njootli Takes Home the Contemporary Art Society of Vancouver's 2017 Artist Prize | Emily Carr University of Art + Design". www.ecuad.ca. 23 October 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "2015 Recipients - William and Meredith Saunderson Prizes for Emerging Artists | The Hnatyshyn Foundation". www.rjhf.com. Retrieved 11 March 2018.