||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
November 10, 1969 |
Greece, New York, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Hunter Foster (m. 1998)|
Jennifer Cody (born November 10, 1969) is an American dancer and actress.
Cody was born November 10, 1969 in Greece, New York. She began dancing at an early age. She studied acting at Fredonia State University. She and her husband, actor and occasional co-star Hunter Foster, live in New York City with their two dogs, both Shih tzus.
Her career began as Dainty June in the touring production of Gypsy immediately after graduating from college. She then began her stage career on Broadway as a replacement in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Cats in the role of Rumpleteazer (after touring with the production). She was featured in Grease as Cha-Cha (replacement), Beauty and the Beast as a Silly Girl (replacement), Seussical (as Cat's Helper and Ensemble) (2000), Urinetown the Musical (2001), Taboo (2003), and The Pajama Game (as (Poopsie) (2006). She starred as the Shoemaker's Elf, among other characters, in the original Broadway cast of Shrek the Musical, opposite sister-in-law Sutton Foster, from November 2008 through July 14, 2009.
She performed Off-Broadway in the Manhattan Theatre Club production of the Andrew Lippa musical The Wild Party (as Mae) in 2000. Cody appeared in the role of Annie in the musical version of the children's book Henry and Mudge in 2006 at the Lucille Lortel Theatre and received a Drama League Award nomination. She played Junie in Junie B. Jones in 2008 at the Lucille Lortel Theatre She also played Betty in the staged concert of No, No Nanette at New York City Center Encores! in 2008 opposite Sandy Duncan and Mara Davi.
In regional theatre, Cody performed at the Paper Mill Playhouse in Milburn, New Jersey as the wicked stepsister Joy in the musical Cinderella in October 2005 to December 2005 and as Hildy in On The Town in November and December 2009. Cody appeared at the Cape Playhouse (Dennis, Massachusetts) in productions of Lend Me a Tenor (as Maggie) in 2007, Moon Over Buffalo in 2009 (as Rosalind) with Gary Beach, John Scherer and her husband, Hunter Foster. and appears in The Odd Couple in June 2014 as one of the Pigeon sisters with Michael McGrath and Noah Racey. This cast had performed The Odd Couple at the Geva Theatre Center, Rochester, New York in April 2014 through May 18, 2014. Cody played roles in Oklahoma (as Ado Annie) and Into the Woods (2009) (as Little Red) at the Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera. At the Ogunquit Playhouse (Ogunquit, Maine) Cody played Natalie Haller in All Shook Up opposite Sally Struthers in 2009 and appeared in Damn Yankees as Gloria in 2012.
Cody has been a part of Broadway Bares, a benefit show to raise money and awareness for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (BC/EFA). Cody and Don Richard frequently appear at events such as Rosie Live and the Annual BC/EFA Easter Bonnet Competition as their characters from Urinetown, the Musical. For example, in the April 2011 Easter Bonnet competition, "And after a two-year absence, Jen Cody and Don Richard returned to the Easter Bonnet stage as crowd favorites Officer Lockstock and Little Sally. Before their five minutes were up nearly all of Broadway had been toasted and roasted with their own special recipe of hilarious and occasionally jaw-dropping love and affection."
Cody was featured on the Law & Order episode "Crimebusters" as Vicki Sandusky, which was televised in 2009. Cody was a series regular on the short-lived CBS television show Untitled Paul Reiser Project, (2006) playing Clarissa Ruiz. She also provides the voice of Darcy on the Nickelodeon version of Winx Club.
She can be heard on the cast albums of Lippa's The Wild Party (2000), Vincent Youmans's Through The Years (2001), The Pajama Game, with Harry Connick Jr. and Kelli O'Hara, Shrek the Musical with Sutton Foster and Brian d'Arcy James (2009), Taboo and Seussical.
Awards and nominations
- For her work on The Princess and the Frog, Cody won an Annie Award for Outstanding Voice Acting in a Feature Production.
- She received a Drama League nomination for her work in the Off-Broadway musical by Brian Lowdermilk and Kait Kerrigan, Henry and Mudge.
- Cody received a Kevin Kline Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in 2008, in the role of Minnie Fay in The Muny (St. Louis) production of Hello, Dolly!.
- "Jennifer Cody Listing" playbillvault.com, accessed June 21, 2014
- Stahl, Scarlett. "The Disney Heroines: Jennifer Cody" laughingplace.com, April 6, 2010
- Gans, Andrew. "DIVA TALK: Chatting with Junie B. Jones' Jennifer Cody, Your "Idol" Thoughts and News of Peters" playbill.com, April 18, 2008
- " Seussical Broadway Listing" Internet Broadway Database listing, accessed June 22, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "The Great Green Way: Shrek the Musical Opens on Broadway Dec. 14" playbill.com, December 14, 2008
- Jones, Kenneth. "MTC's The Wild Party Begins Previews Off-Broadway, Jan. 25" playbill.com, January 25, 2000
- Gans, Andrew." Henry and Mudge — with Cody, Boll, Morales, Hess and Buonopane — Begins Dec. 13" playbill.com, December 13, 2006
- Gans, Andrew. "73rd Annual Drama League Award Nominees Announced" playbill.com, April 2007
- Gans, Andrew. "Cody Is Junie B. Jones at Off-Broadway's Lortel Beginning March 20" playbill.com, March 20, 2008
- Gans, Andrew."Kimbrough, Berresse, Cody, Anderson and More Join Encores! 'Nanette' Cast" playbill.com, April 16, 2008
- Gans, Andrew. " 'The Prince Is Giving a Ball': Cinderella Begins Performances at Paper Mill Playhouse Oct. 19" playbill.com, October 19, 2005
- Hetrick, Adam. "Bernstein's On the Town Opens at Paper Mill Nov. 15" playbill.com, November 15, 2009
- Pincus-Roth, Zachary. "Foster, Cody, Cuccioli, Hoty and Groener Join Cape Playhouse Season" playbill.com, April 27, 2007
- Crosby, Johanna. Cast shines in zany 'Moon Over Buffalo'" August 21, 2009
- Gans, Andrew. "Christiane Noll, Michael McGrath, Farah Alvin, Noah Racey, Jonathan Crombie, Jennifer Cody and More Will Be Part of Cape Playhouse Season" May 1, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "Michael McGrath, Noah Racey, Jennifer Cody and Erin Lindsey Krom Star in Geva's The Odd Couple, Beginning April 22" playbill.com, April 22, 2014
- Hetrick, Adam. "Leavel, Foster, Cody, Ford and O'Malley Go Into the Woods at Pittsburgh CLO" playbill.com, August 4, 2009
- "Ogunquit Playhouse Blockbuster-Feel-Good Season Continues with Sally Struthers Starring in All Shook Up! " ogunquitplayhouse.org, September 10, 2009
- " Damn Yankees Press Release" ogunquitplayhouse.org, July 20, 2012
- Gans, Andrew. "Norm Lewis, Max von Essen, Sarah Uriarte Berry and More Featured in Sacramento Music Circus Summer Season" playbill.com, June 15, 2004
- Healy, Patrick. "Annual Broadway Bares Fund-Raiser Surpasses $1 Million" The New York Times, June 22, 2010
- "Volunteer Spotlight Jen Cody" broadwaycares.org, accessed June 21, 2014
- "Easter Bonnet 2011" broadwaycares.org, accessed June 21, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "Actors' Fund's The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas Benefit Concert Presented Oct. 16" playbill.com, October 16, 2006
- Hetrick, Adam. " The Princess and the Frog, with Rose, Winfrey, Lewis, Cody and Goodman, to Hit Theatres Dec. 11" playbill.com, March 11, 2009
- "Jennifer Cody" voicechasers.com, accessed June 22, 2014
- " Law and Order. Crimebusters " tv.com, accessed June 21, 2014
- Untitled Paul Reiser Project thefutoncritic.com, accessed June 22, 2014
- "Listing" tvweek.com, March 20, 2006, accessed June 22, 2014
- " Winx Club Season 5, March 31, 2013" tv.com (webcache.googleusercontent.com), accessed June 22, 2014
- "Jenifer Cody Filmography" The New York Times, accessed June 22, 2014
- Jones, Kenneth. "Lippa's Wild Party Cast Album Recorded April 11; July Release Expected" playbill.com, April 11, 2000
- Jones, Kenneth."CD of Youmans' Through the Years Gets Web Release Sept. 28; In Stores Oct. 2" playbill.com, September 28, 2001
- Gans, Andrew. "Original Cast Recording of Shrek the Musical Due in March" playbill.com, February 23, 2009
- "37th Annie Awards. Voice Acting in a Feature Production" annieawards.org, accessed June 21, 2014
- Hetrick, Adam. "Tolivar, Elder, Cody, Gattelli and More Are Among Kevin Kline Award Winners" playbill.com, April 1, 2008