|Born||New York City, New York|
|Education||New York University (NYU)|
|Occupation||Filmmaker, writer, artist, performer, photographer|
Jennifer Elster is an American experimental artist, filmmaker, writer, photographer, performer, as well as fashion stylist and fashion designer. She is the founder of The Development, a film studio based in New York City. She designs accessories under the J. Elster brand. She is best known for her experimental films.
Jennifer Elster was born and raised in New York City. She worked as a fashion stylist in Manhattan during the early 2000s, while attending New York University. Elster began her career at Conde Nast, working as a fashion assistant for Mademoiselle but later leaving to work as a freelance conceptual fashion stylist. She was able to move towards film after she started recruiting well known celebrities to work with her.
The Being Experience was a multimedia project of Elster's started with clues online in 2010. A diverse group of people collaborated with her, including Moby, Temple Grandin and Yoko Ono. On the 25th of each month, Elster would release a new installment of the project online.
In May of 2017, she performed Amid the Beauty and Cemetery: Is Death? at the New Museum. She also screened her video art titled, Unknown. Elster also participates in others' work, including performing in TRANS-Ville at the Catinca Tabacaru Gallery in September of 2017.
|2003||Particles of Truth||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Lilli Black|
|2005||Life on the Ledge||No||No||Yes||No||—|
|2013||In the Woods (The Being Experience)||Yes||No||Yes||No||—||Designed as a multi-part series. Featuring Dave Matthews, Terrence Howard, Moby, Temple Grandin, Famke Janssen.|
- Adduci, Kristina (January 6, 2016). "The Woman Who Does It All – Jennifer Elste". artzealous.com. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- Lieberman, Paul (10 May 2003). "Young Festival and Filmmakers Find Their Way". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2018-04-14 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Designer to Watch: Jennifer Elster of J. Elster". theFashionSpot. 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- Matheson, Whitney (17 June 2013). "Moby, Questlove, others endure puzzling 'Experience'". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- Ford, Rebecca (17 September 2013). "Late Actress Karen Black Speaks on the Unknown in 'The Being Experience' Clip (Exclusive Video)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- King, Fattie (2017-05-13). "Artist & Filmmaker Jennifer Elster At The New Museum -". Fashion Maniac. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- "'TRANS-Ville' at Catinca Tabacaru Gallery, New York". ARTnews. 2017-09-29. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- Martel, Ned (2004-09-17). "A Dark Cloud Hangs Over a Painter's Big Day". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- "'The Being Experience' Puts Terrence Howard in the Woods (Exclusive Video)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- "Dave Matthews, Terrence Howard Star in 'The Being Experience'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2018-04-16.