|Alma mater||Simon Fraser University, McGill University|
|Awards||Governor General's Gold Medal, 2006|
|Fields||Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics|
|Institutions||BC Centre for Disease Control |
University of British Columbia
|Doctoral advisor||Fiona Brinkman|
Jennifer Gardy is a Canadian scientist, educator and broadcaster, with expertise in the fields of molecular biology, biochemistry, and bioinformatics. Since February 2019 she has been the Deputy Director, Surveillance, Data, and Epidemiology on the Global Health: Malaria team at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. She was previously an associate professor at the University of British Columbia's School of Population and Public Health, a Canada Research Chair in Public Health Genomics, and a Senior Scientist at the BC Centre for Disease Control. She is an occasional host of CBC's The Nature of Things, a science communicator, and a children's book author.
Gardy received her PhD in molecular biology and biochemistry from Simon Fraser University in 2006. Previously, she earned a BSc in Cell Biology and Genetics from the University of British Columbia (2000) and a Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology from McGill University in 2001.
BC Centre for Disease Control
Dr. Gardy began working for the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) in 2009. During Dr. Gardy's time at the BCCDC, she began work on genome epidemiology, a new scientific field of inquiry. In 2014, she was made the Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) in Public Health Genomics.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
In her current role at the Gates Foundation, Dr. Gardy manages the collection and surveillance the genetic/genomic profiles for viruses and bacteria. This data is used to understand, track, and manage disease outbreaks and can be studied to prevent future outbreaks. Through this role, she is often consulted for epidemics such as the Cuban Zika outbreak and development of malaria vaccines to target region-specific outbreaks.
Jennifer Gardy has made regular appearances on CBC's documentary series The Nature of Things. She has hosted these episodes:
- Bugs, Bones & Botany: The Science of Crime
- Myth or Science
- Myth or Science 2: The Quest for Perfection
- Dreams of the Future
- Myth or Science 3: You Are What You Eat
- Myth or Science 4: In the Eye of the Storm
- While You Were Sleeping
- Myth or Science: The Secrets of Our Senses
- Myth or Science: The Power of Poo
She has also appeared on Discovery Channel Canada's Daily Planet.
- Gardy JL, Johnston JC, Shannon JHS et al. 2011. Whole genome sequencing and social-network analysis of a tuberculosis outbreak. N Engl J Med 364:730-739.
- Lynn, DJ, Gardy JL, Hancock REW, Brinkman FSL. 2010. Systems-Level Analyses of the Mammalian Innate Immune Response. Book chapter in Systems Biology for Signaling Networks, Springer Publishing, NY.
- Gardy JL, Lynn, DJ, Brinkman FSL, Hancock REW. 2009. Systems biology of the innate immune response: emerging approaches and resources. Trends in Immunology 30:249-262.
- Vivona S, Gardy JL, Ramachandran S, Brinkman FSL, Raghava GPS, Flower DR, Filippini F. Coomputer-aided biotechnology: from immunoinformatics to reverse vaccinology. Trends in Biotechnology. 26:190-200.
- Brown KL, Cosseau C, Gardy JL, Hancock REW. 2007. Complexities of targeting innate immunity to treat infection. Trends in Immunology. 28:260-6.
- "Jennifer Gardy". Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Retrieved 2019-11-11.
- "Jennifer Gardy | School of Population and Public Health (SPPH)". spph.ubc.ca. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- "The Nature of Things". CBC. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Jennifer Gardy: A Fresh New Voice on Science". www.thelavinagency.com. Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- "It's Catching". Owlkids. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- "Jennifer Gardy". The Centre for Microbial Diseases and Immunity Research. Archived from the original on 6 March 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "School of Population and Public Health". UBC. Archived from the original on 13 October 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Jennifer Gardy - Science Star". SFU. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Jennifer Gardy - School of Population and Public Health (SPPH)". spph.ubc.ca.
- Chairs, Government of Canada, Industry Canada, Canada Research. "Canada Research Chairs". www.chairs-chaires.gc.ca.
- "Dr. Jennifer Gardy". www.thelavinagency.com. Retrieved 2020-03-07.
- Zimmer, Carl (2019-08-28). "Zika Was Soaring Across Cuba. Few Outside the Country Knew". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-03-07.
- O'Reilly, Eileen Drage. "The fight against malaria faces fresh challenges". Axios. Retrieved 2020-03-07.
- "Myth or Science Two: The Quest for Perfection". Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- "Myth or Science: The Power of Poo". Retrieved 2018-09-22.