Dr. Jennifer Gardy after receiving award for outstanding alumnus of SFU
|Alma mater||Simon Fraser University, McGill University|
|Awards||Governor General's Gold Medal, 2006|
|Fields||Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics|
|Institutions||BC Centre for Disease Control |
University of British Columbia
|Doctoral advisor||Fiona Brinkman|
Jennifer Gardy is an Associate Professor at the University of British Columbia's School of Population and Public Health, a Canada Research Chair in Public Health Genomics, and a Senior Scientist at the BC Centre for Disease Control. She is an occasional host of CBC's The Nature of Things, a science communicator, and a children's book author.
Gardy received her PhD in molecular biology and biochemistry from Simon Fraser University in 2006. Previously, she earned a BSc in Cell Biology and Genetics from the University of British Columbia (2000) and a Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology from McGill University in 2001.
BC Centre for Disease Control
Dr. Gardy began working for the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) in 2009. During Dr. Gardy's time at the BCCDC, she began work on genome epidemiology, a new scientific field of inquiry. In 2014, she was made the Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) in Public Health Genomics.
Jennifer Gardy has made regular appearances on CBC's documentary series The Nature of Things. She has hosted the episodes:
- Bugs, Bones & Botany: The Science of Crime
- Myth or Science
- Myth or Science 2: The Quest for Perfection
- Dreams of the Future
- Myth or Science 3: You Are What You Eat
- Myth or Science 4: In the Eye of the Storm
- While You Were Sleeping
- Myth or Science: The Secrets of Our Senses
- Myth or Science: The Power of Poo
She has also appeared on Discovery Channel Canada's Daily Planet.
- Gardy JL, Johnston JC, Shannon JHS et al. 2011. Whole genome sequencing and social-network analysis of a tuberculosis outbreak. N Engl J Med 364:730-739.
- Lynn, DJ, Gardy JL, Hancock REW, Brinkman FSL. 2010. Systems-Level Analyses of the Mammalian Innate Immune Response. Book chapter in Systems Biology for Signaling Networks, Springer Publishing, NY.
- Mookherjee N, Lippert DN, Hamill P, Falsafi R, Nijnik A, Kindrachuk J, Pistolic J, Gardy J, Miri P, Naseer M, Foster LJ, Hancock RE. 2009. Intracellular receptor for human host defense peptide LL-37 in monocytes. J. Immunol. 183:2688-2696.
- Gardy JL, Lynn, DJ, Brinkman FSL, Hancock REW. 2009. Systems biology of the innate immune response: emerging approaches and resources. Trends in Immunology 30:249-262.
- Mookherjee NM, Hamill P, Gardy JL, Blimkie D, Falsafi R, Chikatamarla A, Arenillas DJ, Doria S, Kollmann TR, Hancock REW. 2008. Evaluation of defence peptide LL37-induced responses in mononuclear cells employing systems biology. Molecular BioSystems 5:483-496.
- Barsky A, Munzner T, Gardy JL, Kincaid R. 2008. Cerebral: visualizing multiple experimental conditions on a graph with biological context. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics. 14:1253-60.
- Lynn DJ, Winsor GL, Chan C, Richard N, Laird MR, Barsky A, Gardy JL, Roche FM, Chan TH, Shah N, Lo R, Naseer M, Que J, Yau M, Acab M, Tulpan D, Whiteside MD, Chikatamarla A, Mah B, Munzner T, Hokamp K, Hancock RE, Brinkman FS. 2008. InnateDB: facilitating systems-level analyses of the mammalian innate immune response. Mol. Sys. Biol. 4:218.
- Cosseau C, Devine DA, Dullaghan E, Gardy JL, Chikatamarla A, Gellatly S, Yu L, Pistolic J, Falsafi R, Tagg J, Hancock REW. 2008. The commensal Streptococcus salivarius K12 downregulates the innate immune response of human epithelial cells and promotes host-microbe homeostasis. Infect. Immunity. 76:4163-75.
- Vivona S, Gardy JL, Ramachandran S, Brinkman FSL, Raghava GPS, Flower DR, Filippini F. Computer-aided biotechnology: from immunoinformatics to reverse vaccinology. Trends in Biotechnology. 26:190-200.
- Brown KL, Cosseau C, Gardy JL, Hancock REW. 2007. Complexities of targeting innate immunity to treat infection. Trends in Immunology. 28:260-6.
- Barsky A, Gardy JL, Hancock REW, Munzner T. 2007. Cerebral: a Cytoscape plugin for layout of and interaction with biological networks using subcellular localization annotation. Bioinformatics. 23:1040-2.
- Gardy JL, Brinkman FSL. 2006. Methods for the prediction of periplasmic proteins, in The Periplasm, Michael Ehrmann ed. ASM Press. Washington, DC. ISBN 978-1-55581-398-7.
- Gardy JL, Brinkman FSL. 2006. Methods for the computational prediction of protein subcellular localization in bacteria., Nature Reviews Microbiology. 4:741-51.
- Rey S, Gardy JL, Brinkman FSL. 2005. Assessing the precision of high-throughput computational and laboratory approaches for the genome-wide identification of protein subcellular localization in bacteria. BMC Genomics, 6:162.
- Lewenza S, Gardy JL, Brinkman FSL, Hancock REW. 2005. Genome-wide identification of Pseudomonas aeruginosa exported proteins using a consensus computational strategy combined with a laboratory-based PhoA fusion screen. Genome Res. 15(2):321-9.
- Rey S, Acab M, Gardy JL, Laird MR, deFays K, Lambert C, Brinkman FSL. 2005. PSORTdb: a protein subcellular localization database for bacteria. Nucleic Acids Res. 33:D164-8.
- Gardy JL, Laird MR, Chen F, Rey S, Walsh CJ, Ester M, Brinkman FSL. 2005. PSORTb v.2.0: expanded prediction of bacterial protein subcellular localization and insights gained from comparative proteome analysis. Bioinformatics. 21(5):617-23.
- Gardy JL, Spencer C, Wang K, Ester M, Tusnady GE, Simon I, Hua S, deFays K, Lambert C, Nakai K, Brinkman FSL. 2003. PSORT-B: Improving protein subcellular localization prediction for Gram-negative bacteria. Nucleic Acids Res. 31(13):3613-7.
- She R, Chen F, Wang K, Ester M, Gardy JL, Brinkman FSL. Frequent Subsequence-Based Prediction of Outer Membrane Proteins, in Proceedings of the Ninth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 436–445. ACM Press, New York, New York.
- "Jennifer Gardy | School of Population and Public Health (SPPH)". spph.ubc.ca. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- "The Nature of Things". CBC. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Jennifer Gardy: A Fresh New Voice on Science". www.thelavinagency.com. Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- "It's Catching". Owlkids. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- "Jennifer Gardy". The Centre for Microbial Diseases and Immunity Research. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "School of Population and Public Health". UBC. Archived from the original on 13 October 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Jennifer Gardy - Science Star". SFU. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Jennifer Gardy - School of Population and Public Health (SPPH)". spph.ubc.ca.
- Chairs, Government of Canada, Industry Canada, Canada Research. "Canada Research Chairs". www.chairs-chaires.gc.ca.
- "Myth or Science Two: The Quest for Perfection". Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- "Myth or Science: The Power of Poo". Retrieved 2018-09-22.