|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
As Miss Violet Stoneham in 36 Chowringhee Lane (1981)
28 February 1933
Southport, Lancashire, England
|Died||7 September 1984
(m. 1958-1984, her death)
Kunal Kapoor (actor)
|Relatives||Prithviraj Kapoor (Father-in-law)
Ramsarni Kapoor (Mother-in-law)
See Kapoor family
Jennifer Kendal was born in Southport, England, but spent much of her youth in India. She and younger sister Felicity Kendal were born to Geoffrey Kendal and Laura Liddell, who ran a travelling theatre company, "Shakespeareana", which traveled around India as depicted in the book and film, Shakespeare Wallah (in which Kendal appeared, uncredited, and which starred her husband Shashi Kapoor, her parents and her sister).
Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer met for the first time in Calcutta, in 1956, where he was part of the Prithvi Theatre company, while she was playing Miranda in the play The Tempest, as part of Shakespeareana. Soon, Shashi Kapoor started touring with the Shakespeareana Company, and they married in July 1958. Kendal and her husband were also instrumental in the rejuvenation of Prithvi Theatre in Bombay, with the opening of their theatre in the Juhu area of the city in 1978. Kendal and Kapoor also starred in a number of films together, particularly those produced by Merchant Ivory Productions. Their first joint starring roles were in Bombay Talkie (1970), which was also one of the earlier films produced by Merchant Ivory.
- Ghare-Baire (1984) - Miss Gilby (The Home and the World)
- The Far Pavilions (1984) - Mrs. Viccary
- Heat and Dust (1983) - Mrs. Saunders
- 36 Chowringhee Lane (1981) Miss Violet Stoneham
- Junoon (1978) - Miriam Labadoor (Ruth's Mother)
- Bombay Talkie (1970) - Lucia Lane
- Shakespeare Wallah (1965) - Mrs. Bowen (uncredited)
- 1983: BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role - 36 Chowringhee Lane - Nominated 
- 1982: Evening Standard British Film Awards - Best Actress: 36 Chowringhee Lane - Won
- Jennifer Kendal - Biography and images
- A question of pedigree The Hindu, 6 September 2004.
- Jennifer Biography
- "Prithvi, pioneer in theatre". The Hindu. Nov 7, 2003.
- Piers Morgan's Life Stories, 19 October 2012
- Jennifer Kapoor - Filmography New York Times
- Bafta Awards Nominations 1982 British Academy Film Awards official website.