Jennifer Simpson competing in the steeplechase at the 2008 US Olympic Trials.
|Birth name||Jennifer Mae Barringer|
August 23, 1986 |
Webster City, Iowa, U.S.
|Residence||Oviedo, Florida, U.S.
Boulder, Colorado, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||110 lb (50 kg)|
|Event(s)||Steeplechase, 1500 m, 3000 m, 5000 m|
|Coached by||Mark Wetmore|
|Achievements and titles|
Jennifer Simpson (née Barringer) (born August 23, 1986) is an American middle distance runner and steeplechaser. She represented the United States at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and 2012 London Olympics. She won a gold medal in the 1500 meters at the 2011 World Championships in Athletics and silver in the same event in 2013.
- 1 Running career
- 2 Competition record
- 3 Personal Bests
- 4 References
- 5 External links
As a student at Oviedo High School, Simpson was a 5-time state champion in track and 3-time state champion in cross country. She also set Florida high school records in the mile, two-mile, 5000 m, and three-mile. Jen finished 3rd in San Diego's Foot Locker Cross Country Championships in 2003 behind winner Katelyn Kaltenbach of Colorado and Marie Lawrence of Nevada. Barringer came on strong and won for the second straight year in identical times of 17:27, becoming the first Florida girl to ever win the Footlocker South regional twice. Jen finished 10th in San Diego's Footlocker cross country national championship in 2004.
At Colorado, Jennifer won the 2006 NCAA Outdoor championship steeplechase in a time of 9:53.04. The following year, she won USATF Outdoor steeplechase championship in 9:34.64.
She finished 7th in heats at IAAF World Outdoors in the steeplechase in a time of 9:51.04. She finished 7th at the NCAA Outdoors in 2007 in the steeplechase with a time of 9:59.81. She also ran at Drake Relays in the steeplechase in a time of 9:44.31. In April 2007, She finished 4th in 5,000m at Stanford in a time of 15:48.24.
At the time of her 2008 Olympic appearance, Simpson was enrolled at the University of Colorado. At the U.S. trials, Simpson qualified for the United States Olympic team by finishing third in the steeplechase.
In 2009, she set NCAA records in the mile, 3000 m, and 5000 m indoors, 1500 m, 3000 m steeplechase and 5000 m outdoors. She also topped her own American record in the Steeplechase at the 2009 World Championships with a time of 9:12:50, finishing 5th overall.
While primarily a steeplechaser, she ran 3:59.90 in the 1500 m at the 2009 Prefontaine Classic. At the time of the event, this performance made her the third-fastest female 1500 m runner in U.S. track and field history.
Simpson came fifth at the 2009 World Championships in Athletics, running a North American record time of 9:12.50 minutes for the event. It is also the best mark by any athlete from the Americas. She was the 2009 US Champion in the steeplechase.
Despite the fact that she could have signed a professional contract, Simpson returned to school in the fall of 2009 to compete in Cross Country. On October 31, 2009, Simpson captured the Big 12 individual title, running a 6-kilometer course in 20 minutes, 27.46 seconds. She was favored to win the NCAA Cross Country Championship on November 23, 2009, but collapsed after leading for the first two miles. She wound up in 163rd place. Simpson commented that she felt light headed all of a sudden.
In January 2010, Simpson signed a multi-year endorsement deal with New Balance. Simpson later changed coaches from her University of Colorado at Boulder coach, Mark Wetmore, in favor of the Air Force Academy coach Juli Benson.
Simpson began the 2011 season strong, winning the Mile and 3000 meters championships at the 2011 USA Indoor Track and Field Championships. She qualified for the 2011 World Championships in Athletics by finishing second in the 1500 meters at the US Track and Field Championship.
Simpson won a gold medal at the 1500 meters at the World Championships in a time of 4:05:40. She beat rivals Hannah England and Natalia Rodriguez. Simpson's gold medal was considered a surprise. She became the first American woman to win the event since Mary Decker at the inaugural World Championships in 1983.
On July 1, 2012, Simpson qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics with a third-place finish in the women's 1500 m at the 2012 United States Olympic Trials. At the 2012 Summer Olympics, Simpson qualified for the 1500 meter semifinal in 4:13.89 but did not qualify for the final. Announced a return to coach Mark Wetmore in December 2012.
10th in Brussels 1500m (4:10.70)
7th at Zurich 5,000m (14:56.26)
2nd at World Outdoor 1500m (4:02.99)
1st at Monaco 1500m (4:00.48)
3rd at Madrid 800m (2:02.15)
1st at USA Outdoors 5,000m (15:33.77)
1st at USATF Oxy HP 800m (2:00.45)
1st at Drake Relays 1500m (4:03.35)
Simpson was runner-up at the Boston New Balance Indoor Grand Prix 2 mile after miscounting her laps to finish in 9:26.19 on February 8.
Simpson followed that performance with a 2nd-place finish in 27:57 at US Cross Country Championship on February 15.
At the Prefontaine Classic on May 31, she improved her personal best in the 1500 to 3:58.28. Simpson won the 1500 meters at the 2014 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in 4:04.96. On July 4, Simpson became the 2nd fastest American 1500 meter runner by running 3:57.22 at a Diamond League race in Paris. With two wins late in the season, including a dramatic diving finish at the Weltklasse Zürich, she won the 2014 IAAF Diamond League.
At the end of the year she was selected as the winner of the Jackie Joyner Kersee Award.
- May 18: 4:00 2nd at Shanghai Diamond League
- May 31: 3:58 4th place at Pre Diamond League
- June 14: 4:02 3rd at adidas Grand Prix
- June 29: 4:04 1st USATF Champs
- July 5: 3:57 2nd place at Paris Diamond League
- August 21: 4:00 1st Diamond League Stockholm
- August 28: 3:59 1st at Zurich
- Sept 5th: 8:29 4th at Memorial van Damme
- September 13: 4:19.4 at Fifth Avenue Mile
- Sep 22nd: 4:19 Road Mile 1st in NY
Simpson won the Boston New Balance Indoor Grand Prix 2 mile in 9:18.35 on February 7, setting a new American record, 5 seconds ahead of Regina Jacobs' 2002 American record at the same event, 9:23.38.
At the Prefontaine Classic on May 30, she won in a season best in the 1500 opener to 4:00.28.
At the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Eugene, Oregon Simpson won the 1500m in 4:14.86, and will represent the U.S. for the 1500m in the 2015 World Championships in Athletics in Beijing, China in August.
At the Herculis Diamond League meet at Stade Louis II in Monaco Simpson ran 3:57.30, just .18 off Mary Slaney's nearly 32-year-old American record before the race. During that same race, a second ahead of her, Shannon Rowbury improved the American record to 3:56.29 and Genzebe Dibaba improved the World record to 3:50.07.
At the 2015 World Championships in Athletics – Women's 1500 metres in Beijing, China Simpson finished 11th in the final round after losing her New Balance shoe and struggled, finishing in 4:16.28.
On September 13th, Simpson placed 1st in a time of 4:29.0 at New York Road Runners Fifth Avenue Mile in New York. By the end of the year, she ran the 3000 meters standard for 2016 IAAF World Indoor Championships in the 3000 metres at Zürich Diamond League.
Track and field
|Representing United States|
|2008||Olympic Games||Beijing, China||9th||3000 m s'chase||9:22.26|
|2009||World Championships||Berlin, Germany||5th||3000 m s'chase||9:12.50|
|2011||World Championships||Daegu, South Korea||1st||1500 m||4:05.40|
|2012||Olympic Games||London, United Kingdom||11th (sf)||1500 m||4:06.89|
|2013||Diamond League – Herculis||Fontvieille, Monaco||1st||1500 m||4:00.48|
|World Championships||Moscow, Russia||2nd||1500 m||4:02.99|
|2014||Diamond League – Meeting Areva||Saint Denis, France||2nd||1500 m||3:57.22|
|IAAF Diamond League – DN Galan||Stockholm, Sweden||1st||1500 m||4:00.38|
|2015||Prefontaine Classic||Eugene, Oregon||1st||1500m||4:00.98|
|IAAF Diamond League – Golden Gala||Rome, Italy||1st||1500 m||3:59.31|
|World Championships||Beijing, China||11th||1500 m||4:16.28|
|IAAF Diamond League – Weltklasse Zürich||Zürich, Switzerland||4th||3000 m||8:34:43|
|Representing United States|
|2004||World Cross Country Championships||Bruxelles, Belgium||35th||Junior race||22:19|
|2005||World Cross Country Championships||Saint-Galmier, France||47th||Junior race||23:03|
USA National Championships
Track and field
|2004||USA Cross Country Championships||Indianapolis, Indiana||4th||Junior race||21:21|
|2005||USA Cross Country Championships||Vancouver, Washington||3rd||Junior race||22:05.1|
|2014||USA Cross Country Championships||Boulder, Colorado||2nd||Senior race||27:57|
Track and field
|2006||NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships||Sacramento, California||1st||3000 m s'chase||9:53.04|
|2007||NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships||Fayetteville, Arkansas||12th||3000 m||9:23.54|
|NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships||Sacramento, California||7th||3000 m s'chase||9:59.81|
|2008||NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships||Des Moines, Iowa||1st||3000 m s'chase||9:29.20|
|2009||NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships||Fayetteville, Arkansas||1st||3000 m s'chase||9:25.54|
|2005||NCAA Cross Country Championships||Terre Haute, Indiana||43rd||20:36.00|
|2006||NCAA Cross Country Championships||Terre Haute, Indiana||2nd||20:37.9|
|2007||NCAA Cross Country Championships||Terre Haute, Indiana||2nd||19:47.8|
|2009||NCAA Cross Country Championships||Terre Haute, Indiana||163rd||21:46.9|
|Mile run||4:19.3||Fifth Avenue Mile||September 22, 2013|
|800 m||2:00.45||Los Angeles (OC), CA||May 17, 2013|
|1500 m||3:57.22||Paris Saint-Denis||July 5, 2014|
|Mile run||4:49.82||Raleigh (USA)||June 19, 2004|
|3000 m||8:29.58||Brussels||September 5, 2014|
|5000 m||14:56.26||Zürich (Letzigrund)||August 29, 2013|
|3000 m s'chase||9:12.50||Berlin, Germany||August 17, 2009|
|1500 m||4:07.27||New York (Armory), NY||February 11, 2012|
|Mile run||4:25.91||College Station, TX||February 28, 2009|
|3000 m||8:42.03||College Station, TX||March 14, 2009|
|Two miles||9:18.35||Boston (Roxbury), MA||February 7, 2015|
- All-Athletics. "Profile of Jenny SIMPSON".
- Jennifer discusses losing a shoe and running 9:59 in steeplechase at NCAA Final
- "Willard sets US record in 3,000m steeplechase". Associated Press. July 3, 2008. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- Metzler, Brian. "Jenny Barringer's Road to Greatness". Running Times. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- Battaglia, Joe (August 17, 2009). "Q&A: Barringer talks about her AR". Universal Sports.
- Battaglia, Joe (June 7, 2009). "Barringer makes history with sub-4 1500m". Universal Sports.
- Metzler, Brian. "Catching Up with Jenny Barringer". Running Times. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- Poncin, Linda (October 31, 2009). "Simpson Wins Big 12 Title". CUBuffs.com. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- Patrick, Dick (November 24, 2009). "Liberty runner wins NCAA cross country championship". USA Today. Retrieved 24 November 2009.
- Anderson, Curtis (December 16, 2009). "sp.ruppwins.1217". The Register-Guard. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- Globe Staff (22 January 2010). "New Balance signs endorsement deal with Barringer". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- Petty, Daniel (4 February 2010). "Barringer leaves Wetmore for Air Force coach". Denver Post. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- Monti, David. "Stress reaction forces Barringer to end season". Universal Sports. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- Gambaccini, Peter. "Racing News". Runner's World. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- "Jennifer (Barringer) Simpson". US Track and Field. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "U.S. Outdoor Nationals". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- Ruiz, Stephen (1 September 2011). "Former Oviedo runner Jenny Barringer Simpson wins world 1,500". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Banner day for USA: 3 golds at world championships". Associated Press (USA Today). 1 September 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "Oviedo's Jenny Barringer Simpson makes U.S. Olympic track team in 1,500". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- Jenny Simpson Talks About Her Shoe Falling off in 2015 World Champs 1500 Final
- 2005 NCAA Cross Country Championships results. Track and Field News. March 2, 2016
- 2006 NCAA Cross Country Championships results. Track and Field News. March 2, 2016
- 2007 NCAA Cross Country Championships results. Track and Field News. March 2, 2016
- 2009 NCAA Cross Country Championships results. Track and Field News. March 2, 2016
- USA Track & Field: Jennifer Barringer
- NBC Olympics Profile
- Jennifer Simpson profile at IAAF
- Diamond League profile
|The Bowerman (Women's Winner)
|Jackie Joyner Kersee Award (Women's Winner)