Jennifer van Dijk-Silos
Jennifer van Dijk-Silos
Van Dijk-Silos, 2013
|Minister of Justice and Police|
12 August 2015 – 23 March 2017
|Preceded by||Edward Belfort|
|Succeeded by||Ferdinand Welzijn (interim)|
|Born||13 December 1954|
|Political party||National Democratic Party|
Van Dijk-Silos was chair of the Independent Electoral Commission (Dutch:Onafhankelijke Kiescommissie) for twelve years before she was appointed as minister. She also had her own law firm, which she transferred to her daughter.
On 7 July 2016 the opposition parties Democratic Alternative '91 and Surinamese Labour Party, demanded the resignation of Van Dijk-Silos due to comments she had made about the trial over the December murders. The next day more parliamentarians joined the call. Van Dijk-Silos reacted by first saying she had no message to the calls for her resignation and subsequently that the opposition parliamentarians had lied in their letter to President Dési Bouterse.
On 21 March 2017 Van Dijk-Silos was asked to resign by President Dési Bouterse, he cited her troublesome relations with the judicial power as reason. Judges of the Court of Justice of Suriname earlier withdrew support for her in a letter, stating that she was "impossible to communicate and cooperate with". Van Dijk-Silos refused to resign and she was subsequently relieved of her position with honor by Bouterse. On 23 March 2017 Van Dijk-Silos was succeeded by Ferdinand Welzijn in an interim capacity.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jennifer van Dijk-Silos.|
- "Over ons". Advocatenkantoor Van Dijk-Silos. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- "Van Dijk-Silos nieuwe minister van Justitie en Politie". Starnieuws. 11 August 2015. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- "Belfort draagt over aan Van dijk-Silos". LPM News. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Aftreden Suriname's minister van Justitie geëist". Waterkant. 7 July 2016. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- "Ook oppositionele fracties eisen ontslag Jennifer Van Dijk- Silos". Dnieuws. 8 July 2016. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- Jerrel Harderwijk (7 July 2016). "Van Dijk-Silos: "Ik heb geen boodschap aan weg met Silos"". Suriname Herald. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Minister Van Dijk-Silos: Gore leugen in brief oppositie". Starnieuws. 8 July 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Bouterse ontslaat minister van Justitie en Politie" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Omroep Stichting. 21 March 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Laatste officiële publieke handeling Van Dijk – Silos" (in Dutch). Waterkant. 22 March 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Van Dijk-Silos draagt over aan Welzijn" (in Dutch). GFC Nieuws. 23 March 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2017.