Jennings Township, Putnam County, Ohio
|Jennings Township, Putnam County, Ohio|
Road U in Rushmore
Location of Jennings Township in Putnam County
|• Total||28.3 sq mi (73.4 km2)|
|• Land||28.3 sq mi (73.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||745 ft (227 m)|
|• Density||69.5/sq mi (26.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086860|
Jennings Township is one of the fifteen townships of Putnam County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,968 people in the township, 1,536 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jackson Township - north
- Union Township - northeast corner
- Sugar Creek Township - east
- Sugar Creek Township, Allen County - southeast corner
- Marion Township, Allen County - south
- Washington Township, Van Wert County - southwest
- Monterey Township - northwest
The village of Fort Jennings is located in northwestern Jennings Township.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Jennings Township is located in Van Wert County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Putnam County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.