Jennings Township, Van Wert County, Ohio
|Jennings Township, Van Wert County, Ohio|
Fields northeast of Venedocia
Location of Jennings Township in Van Wert County
|• Total||28.1 sq mi (72.7 km2)|
|• Land||28.1 sq mi (72.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||810 ft (247 m)|
|• Density||24.8/sq mi (9.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087090|
Jennings Township is one of the twelve townships of Van Wert County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 695 people in the township, 623 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township - north
- Marion Township, Allen County - northeast
- Spencer Township, Allen County - east
- Salem Township, Auglaize County - south
- Union Township, Mercer County - southwest
- York Township - west
- Ridge Township - northwest corner
Part of the village of Venedocia is located in northwestern Jennings Township, along the border with York Township.
Van Wert County's most southerly point is located in Jennings Township. It is the only county township with a border on Auglaize County.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Van Wert County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.