|Labels||Hänssler Classic, Steinway & Sons, Koch/E1, BIS Records, Albany Records, Sunrise Records|
Jenny Lin is a Taiwanese-born American pianist.
She was born in Taiwan, and raised in Austria and the United States. She began her piano studies at the age of 4. At age 10, she was accepted into the Hochschule für Musik in Vienna, Austria, in the studio of Noel Flores. At age 14, she immigrated to the United States, attended the National Cathedral School in Washington DC and Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore, studying with Julian Martin. She received an Artist Diploma from Peabody and also holds a bachelor's degree in German Literature from The Johns Hopkins University. After College, she moved to Geneva, Switzerland, to study with the pianist Dominique Weber. She has also worked with Richard Goode and Blanca Uribe in New York, and with Leon Fleisher, Dimitri Bashkirov and Andreas Staier at the Fondazione Internazionale per il pianoforte in Cadenabbia, Italy.
Jenny Lin has given many recitals all over the world. Her concerts have taken her to Carnegie Hall, Avery Fisher Hall, Kennedy Center, Miller Theatre, MoMA, Whitney Museum, (Le) Poisson Rouge, National Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery, Strathmore[disambiguation needed], San Francisco Performances, Spivey Hall, Salle Cortot and Victoria Hall; and Festivals worldwide at Chopin Festival in Austria, Flanders and Ars Musica Festivals in Belgium, Shanghai New Music Festival in China, Divonne Festival in France, Schleswig-Holstein, Potsdam and Husum Festivals in Germany, Millennium Festival in Spain, Festival Archipel in Switzerland, Winnipeg New Music in Canada, Mostly Mozart at Lincoln Center, BAM's Next Wave, MATA, Spoleto and Portland International Piano Festival in the USA.
Her orchestral engagements have included Beethoven's Choral Fantasy with Collegiate Chorale and American Symphony Orchestra, Valentin Silvestrov's Metamusik with Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, Manuel de Falla's Nights in the Garden of Spain with La Orquesta Sinfónica de Gijón; Ernest Bloch's Concerto Grosso No. 1 with SWR Rundfunkorchester; world premiere of Stefano Gervasoni's Piano Concerto with Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale della RAI, and Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 with National Symphony Orchestra of Taiwan. She has also appeared with Flemish Radio Orchestra, Nürnberger Symphoniker, Spoleto Festival Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, Orquesta de Valencia, and performed with conductors such as Lothar Zagrosek, James Bagwell, Jiri Starek, Urs Schneider, Celso Antunes, Alexander Mickelthwate, Peter Bay, Jac van Steen, Ovidiu Balan, Wen-Pin Chien, Kek-Tjiang Lim, John Kennedy, Carlos Amat and Oliver Diaz.
Recordings and Film
Lin's discography includes recordings on Hänssler Classic, Steinway & Sons, Koch/E1, BIS Records, Albany Records and Sunrise Records. Albums include the 24 Preludes and Fugues Op. 87 by Dmitri Shostakovitch, "Silent Music" featuring Federico Mompou's Musica Callada, "The 11th Finger", piano works by Valentin Silvestrov, piano works by Ruth Crawford Seeger, "InsomniMania", "Chinoiserie", music for Piano and Orchestra by Ernest Bloch, Ma Shui-Long Piano Concerto, and Xavier Montsalvatge's Concerto Breve with NDR Radiophilharmonie.
She is the central figure in Cooking for Jenny by Elemental Film, a musical documentary portraying her journey to the north of Spain and meeting with composer Javier López de Guereña for the preparation of the world premier of his piano concerto ZAHARA. She is also one of the featured artist on "Speaking for Myself", a film about Manhattan as seen through the eyes of eight contemporary artists by Pheasant Eye Productions and filmmaker Bert Shapiro.
Composers who have written for Lin and whose works she has premiered include Steve Antosca, Jonathan Bepler, Timothy Beyer, Luc Brewaeys, Gerald Busby, Uri Caine, Unsuk Chin, Boudewijn Cox, Cornelius Dufallo, Daniel Felsenfeld, Elena Firsova, Luca Francesconi, Jason Freeman, Vivian Fung, Stefano Gervasoni, Marc-Andre Hamelin, Robert Helps, Huang Ruo, Vincent Ho, Ethan Iverson, Laura Kaminsky, Arthur Kampela, John King, Stefan Malzew, Jeffrey Mumford, Randy Nordschow, Gabriela Ortiz, John Psathas, Jim Pugliese, Frederic Rzewski, Elliott Sharp, Valentin Silvestrov, Salvatore Sciarrino, Johannes Maria Staud, James Tenney.
Among her activities, she has collaborated with Jazz pianist Chris Wiesendanger, avant-garde guitarist Marc Ribot, trombonist George Lewis, and Wilco members Nels Cline and Glenn Kotche.
- Igor Stravinsky Solo Piano Works (2014 Steinway & Sons)
- "Night Stories: Nocturnes" (2014 Hänssler Classic)
- "17 Windows": Music of David Wolfson (2013 Albany Records)
- "Get Happy": Broadway Song Arrangements by pianists (2012 Steinway & Sons)
- Xavier Montsalvatge: Concerto Breve (2011 Hänssler Classic)
- Silent Music: Federico Mompou Musica Callada (2011 Steinway & Sons)
- Ma Shui-Long: Piano Concerto (2010 National Symphony Orchestra of Taiwan)
- Dmitri Shostakovich: Preludes and Fugues Op. 87 (2010 Hänssler Classic)
- "Insomnimania": (2009 Koch/E1)
- Valentin Silvestrov: Chamber Works (2009 Koch/E1)
- Ernest Bloch: works for piano and orchestra (2008 Hänssler Classic)
- "Nostalgia": Valentin Silvestrov Solo Piano works (2007 Hänssler Classic)
- "The Eleventh Finger": (2007 Koch/E1)
- "Preludes to a Revolution": Russian Piano Preludes (1905–22) (2006 Hänssler Classic)
- Ma Yo-Dao: Piano Suite (2006 Poem Culture Records)
- Ruth Crawfold Seeger: Complete Piano Works (2005 BIS Records)
- Guan Xia: Piano Suite (2004 Poem Culture Records)
- "Chinoiserie": (2002 BIS Records)
- Liszt Sonata and Schumann Fantasie: (2000 Sunrise Records)