Jens Berthel Askou
Jens Berthel Askou in March 2012
|Full name||Jens Berthel Askou|
|Date of birth||19 August 1982|
|Place of birth||Videbæk, Denmark|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Vendsyssel FF (assistant)|
|2011||→ Millwall (loan)||1||(0)|
|2015–2016||Skive IK (playing assistant)|
|2016–2017||Thisted FC (assistant)|
|2017–||Vendsyssel FF (assistant)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 January 2016.
Askou has played for a number of Danish clubs before moving abroad, first to Turkish club Kasımpaşa and then to Norwich City in England, before moving back to Denmark to play for Vejle BK. On 2 August 2013 he signed a 2-year contract with Esbjerg.
Askou began his career at Ikast FS before moving to Holstebro BK in 2002. His performances led to a contract with 1st Division Silkeborg IF in the summer of 2003, following a successful trial. He helped the club regain promotion to the Danish Superliga during his first season, and became a regular for four years. In 2007, Askou failed to agree a new deal with SIF, which led to a move to Turkish football with Kasımpaşa.
Kasımpaşa finished bottom of the 2007–08 Süper Lig, with Askou appearing frequently and scoring twice. However, despite Askou's own goal in the playoffs semi-final, the club returned to the top flight at the first attempt in 2008–09. His contract was not renewed the following summer.
In July 2009, Askou linked up with English League One club Norwich City on their pre-season tour of Scotland. He impressed suitably with his defensive displays in the club's friendly matches, also managing to score with a header against Airdrie United. Then manager Bryan Gunn confirmed on 27 July he had offered Askou a contract. It was revealed on 30 July that Askou had signed a two-year deal with Norwich. He made his debut in a 4–0 win over Yeovil Town in the League Cup on 11 August, helping to keep a clean sheet. Four days later, he scored on his league debut as Norwich drew 1–1 with Exeter City. Askou became a regular starter for Norwich until picking up a metatarsal injury in a league game against Yeovil in December, which kept him out until May 2010.
He scored a header against Blackburn Rovers in the League Cup in August 2010; a game which Norwich lost 3–1. Askou's opportunities at Norwich were limited in the 2010–11 season, making only two Championship starts in the first half of the campaign.
In January 2011, Askou moved to fellow Championship side Millwall on a one-month loan. He was sent off on his debut against Leicester City for a two-footed lunge on Yakubu. This was his only appearance for the club and he returned to Norwich in February. He did not appear again for his parent club either and at the end of the season his contract was not renewed.
Vejle Boldklub Kolding
Askou signed a two-year contract with Danish first division team Vejle Boldklub Kolding in August 2011. During his time a Vejle, he scored six goals in 55 appearances and was appointed club captain in the summer of 2012. Askou signed a 2-year deal with Esbjerg in the Danish Superliga in August 2013 for an undisclosed fee.
Askou is married to Rikke. The couple have three children – Julius, Cornelius and Augusta. Julius and Cornelius attend the International School Ikast-Brande in Ikast, Denmark.
- Silkeborg IF
- Danish 1st Division Champions: 2003–04
- TFF 1. League Playoffs Winners: 2008–09
- Norwich City
- Askou bliver spillende assistent i Skive, bold.dk, 26 December 2014
- Jens Berthel Askou ny assistent i Thisted, bold.dk, 19 September 2016
- Jens Berthel Askou stopper i Thisted FC‚ bold.dk, 30 May 2017
- Jens Berthel Askou fortsætter i Vendsyssel‚ bold.dk, 27 June 2017
- Jens Berthel Askou til EfB på toårig aftale
- "City make it three wins on tour". Norwich City F.C. 19 July 2009. Retrieved 27 July 2009.
- "Askou offered Norwich deal". Sky Sports. 27 July 2009. Retrieved 27 July 2009.
- "Double signing for City". Norwich City F.C. 30 July 2009. Archived from the original on 31 July 2009. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
- "Exeter 1 – 1 Norwich". BBC. 15 August 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- "Blackburn 3 – 1 Norwich". BBC Sport. 24 August 2010. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- "Millwall sign Norwich City defender Jens Berthel Askou". BBC Sport. 19 January 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- "Leicester 4 – 2 Millwall". BBC Sport. 22 January 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- "Gill, Askou and Habergham to leave City". Norwich City F.C. 31 May 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- Vejle henter forsvarsspiller i Norwich, Jyllans-Posten, 26 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- Dagens transferrygter: Golfkøllesvinger kan vende tilbage til Liverpool, Politiken, 26 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- Askou ny anfører i VBK
- "Jens is raring to go". pinkun.com. 30 July 2010. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- Topscorer og assistent forlader Skive, bold.dk, 31 May 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jens Berthel Askou.|