Jens Lehmann (scientist)
March 29, 1982, Meissen, Saxony, Germany
|Fields||Knowledge Graphs, Conversational AI, Large-scale Data Analytics (Big Data), Relational Learning|
|Institutions||University of Bonn, University of Leipzig, University of Oxford, Fraunhofer IAIS, Institute for Applied Informatics (InfAI)|
Jens Lehmann is a computer scientist, most noted for his work on knowledge graphs and Artificial Intelligence. He is a principal scientist at Amazon (company), honorary professor at TU Dresden and a fellow of European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems. Formerly, he was a full professor at the University of Bonn, Germany and lead scientist for Conversational AI and Knowledge Graphs at Fraunhofer IAIS.
In 2007, he co-founded the DBpedia knowledge graph project. He also works on Symbolic Artificial Intelligence, in particular for learning concepts in Description Logics (DLs) as well as OWL class expressions.
Within the field of Question Answering, he developed approaches to transform natural language questions into queries against a knowledge graph. Furthermore, he investigates representation learning approaches for knowledge graphs and their application in downstream machine learning tasks.
Within the scope of the Center for Explainable and Efficient AI Technologies CEE AI, a collaboration between the Fraunhofer Society and Technische Universität Dresden, Jens Lehmann was coordinating the Fraunhofer IAIS Dresden lab with a main focus on Conversational Artificial Intelligence. Recent projects include a demonstrator presented at Hannover fair 2019 in a collaboration between the Fraunhofer Cluster of Excellence Cognitive Internet Technologies, Volkswagen and the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS, and the SPEAKER project towards an AI platform for business-to-business speech assistants.
Education and Career
Jens Lehmann graduated with a master's degree in Computer Science from the Technical University of Dresden and the University of Bristol in 2006. He then obtained a doctoral degree (Dr. rer. nat) with grade summa cum laude at the Leipzig University in 2010 and was a research visitor at the University of Oxford. In 2013, he became a leader of the Agile Knowledge Engineering and Semantic Web research group (AKSW) at the Leipzig University. Subsequently, he was appointed as professor at University of Bonn and Fraunhofer IAIS in 2015. Since 2016, he is leading the Smart Data Analytics Research Group involving researchers from the University of Bonn, Fraunhofer IAIS, the Institute of Applied Informatics co-affiliation with the University of Leipzig and TU Dresden. In 2019, he started the Fraunhofer IAIS Dresden lab. In 2022, he moved to Amazon as principal scientist and was awarded honorary professor at TU Dresden.
The impact of his research has been awarded in different ways by the community. He received the 10 Year SWSA Award for his work on DBpedia together with other co-founders that was published at the International Semantic Web Conference, the Semantic Web Journal outstanding paper Award, ESWC 7-Year Most Influential Paper Award, Outstanding Paper Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2013, the ISWC 2011 Best Research Paper Award, and the Journal of Web Semantics Most Cited Paper Award 2006–2010. He also received a 10-year award  for his work on LinkedGeoData. For his early work on learning concepts in description logics, he received the Best Student Paper Award  at the International Conference on Inductive Logic Programming (ILP) 2007.
- "TU Dresden: The Faculty Of Computer Science Welcomes Honorary Professor Jens Lehmann". TU Dresden. 21 November 2022. Retrieved 7 November 2022.
- ELLIS. "European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems". European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems. Retrieved 19 December 2020.
- DBpedia: A nucleus for a web of open data, S. Auer, C. Bizer, G. Kobilarov, J. Lehmann, R. Cyganiak, Z. Ives, International Semantic Web Conference 2008, 722-735, the ISWC 10 Year Best Paper Award
- DBpedia – A crystallization point for the web of data, J. Lehmann et al. (shared first author), Journal of Web Semantics, 7(3):154–165, 2009, Journal of Web Semantics 2006–2010 Award.
- DBpedia SPARQL benchmark – performance assessment with real queries on real data, M. Morsey, J. Lehmann, S. Auer, and A. Ngonga Ngomo, International Semantic Web Conference 2011, ISWC Best Paper Award.
- Concept learning in description logics using refinement operators, J. Lehmann and P. Hitzler, Machine Learning
- DL-Learner: Learning concepts in description logics, J. Lehmann, Journal of Machine Learning Research, 10:2639–2642, 2009.
- book. "Learning OWL class expressions". German National Library. Retrieved 8 August 2020.
- Template-based question answering over RDF data, C. Unger, L. Buhmann, J. Lehmann, A. Ngonga-Ngomo, D. Gerber, P. Cimiano, World Wide Web Conference 2012, 639-648.
- Bringing Light Into the Dark: A Large-scale Evaluation of Knowledge Graph Embedding Models Under a Unified Framework, Ali, M., Berrendorf, M., Hoyt, C. T., Vermue, L., Galkin, M., Sharifzadeh, S., Fischer, A., Tresp, V. and Lehmann, J., arXiv preprint arXiv:2006.13365 (2020).
- PyKEEN 1.0: A Python Library for Training and Evaluating Knowledge Graph Embeddings, Ali, M., Berrendorf, M., Hoyt, C. T., Vermue, L., Sharifzadeh, S., Tresp, V. and Lehmann, J., arXiv preprint arXiv:2007.14175 (2020).
- "Fraunhofer und TU Dresden: Neues Zentrum für Kognitive Produktionssysteme und KI-Zentrum". Silicon Saxony. 11 February 2019. Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- Schön, Stephan (12 February 2019). "Dieses Forschungszentrum wird Dresden verändern". Wirtschaft in Sachsen. Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- Stelzer, Gerhard (6 December 2019). "Wie intelligent ist KI?: Kommunikation mit Missverständnissen". Elektronik.de. Retrieved 7 August 2020.
- Lauer, Bernhard (4 March 2019). "Smarter Sprachassistent mit Domänenwissen". dotnetpro. Retrieved 7 August 2020.
- Interview, phys (1 March 2019). "Smart voice assistant answers your questions". phys. Retrieved 19 August 2020.
- "Projekt Speaker startet Aufbau einer KI-Plattform für B2B Sprachassistenten". EAD-portal. 15 April 2020. Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- Lehmann, Jens (2010-01-05). Learning OWL Class Expressions (PDF). Leipzig: Dissertation Universität Leipzig. p. 223. Retrieved 7 August 2020.
- Horrocks, Ian. "SWSA 10-year award 2017". Semantic Web Science Association. Retrieved 7 August 2020.
- Hitzler, Pascal. "Semantic Web journal Awards 2014". Semantic Web – Interoperability, Usability, Applicability an IOS Press Journal. Retrieved 7 August 2020.
- ILP (4 November 2022). "Semantic Web Journal". SWJ. Retrieved 21 November 2022.
- ILP. "Best Student Paper Award". IIP. Retrieved 21 November 2022.