Akers was elected on May 6, 2000, with 64.17% of the vote, defeating opponent Dick Bode. Akers served one term before being defeated by Pat Evans in 2002. In 2006, Akers lost election the Republican Primary for County Commissioner to Jack Hatchell. In addition to being mayor, Akers previously served on the Plano City Council from 1993-1999. This included service as Deputy Mayor Pro Tem from 1997–1998 and Mayor Pro Tem from 1998-1999. While Mayor of Plano, Akers founded the Collin County Mayors’ Alliance and was a member of the Metroplex Mayor’s Alliance.
Akers graduated from the University of Alabama in 1969 with a Bachelor of Science in Marketing. While a student at Alabama, Akers was a member of the Air Force ROTC and the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, as well as the Arnold Air Society. He then joined the United States Air Force in 1969, earning the rank of captain. He served in the USAF until 1973. While in the Air Force, Akers received a Master of Arts in Public Administration.
In 2010, Akers became the President and CEO of the Celina Chamber of Commerce. He was no longer in the position as of 2013.
- Minutes of Plano City Council
- Corolla Yearbook. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama. 1969. p. 464.
- Hundley, Wendy (May 16, 2000). "Solid support from east Plano helped Akers win mayoral bid Bode did well on west side, totals from narrow race indicate". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- Hundley, Wendy (May 5, 2002). "Evans defeats Akers in race for Plano mayor". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- Housewright, Ed (March 5, 2006). "Akers takes on Hatchell for court, while 2 challenge clerk". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- 2002 Election Results | http://www.co.collin.tx.us/elections/election_results/2002/050402/M402CAT.txt
- 2006 Election Results | http://www.co.collin.tx.us/elections/election_results/2006/030706/030706CAT.htm
- "Meet Jeran". The Jeran Akers for County Commissioner Website. Archived from the original on 2006-08-23. Retrieved 2006-07-07.
|Mayor of Plano, Texas