Adams with the New York Giants in 2017.
|No. 89 – Houston Texans|
|Born:||December 31, 1992|
Pinewood, South Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||254 lb (115 kg)|
|High school:||Scott's Branch|
(Summerton, South Carolina)
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 6 / Pick: 184|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Player stats at PFR|
Adams attended Scott's Branch High School in Summerton, South Carolina. He played football and basketball. In football, he played quarterback, tight end, linebacker, defensive end and punter. During his career he passed for 689 yards with 12 touchdowns and had 21 receptions for 581 yards and eight receiving touchdowns on offense. As a senior in basketball, he averaged 19 points and 13 rebounds as a junior. Adams spent a year at Fork Union Military Academy after high school.
On December 14, 2015, it was announced that Adams had accepted his invitation to play in the 2016 Senior Bowl. Throughout Senior Bowl practices, Adams garnered attention and impressed scouts by showcasing his blocking ability and making multiple difficult catches. On January 30, 2016, Adams made three receptions for 49 yards and was a part of Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach Gus Bradley's South team that defeated the North 27-16. Adams was one of 15 collegiate tight ends to attend the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Indiana. He ran the fastest 40-yard dash among all tight ends and finished seventh in the vertical jump and three-cone drill. On March 30, 2016, Adams attended South Carolina's pro day, along with Brandon Shell, Pharoh Cooper, Brandon Wilds, and 13 other prospects. He opted to stand on his combine numbers and perform only positional drills and the bench press for scouts and team representatives from all 32 NFL teams. At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Adams was projected to be a third or fourth round pick by NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked the second best tight end in the draft by NFL analyst Mike Mayock, was ranked the fourth best tight end by NFLDraftScout.com, and the fifth best tight end by Sports Illustrated.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in
|34 3⁄8 in
|9 3⁄4 in
|4.64 s||1.64 s||2.72 s||4.31 s||7.05 s||32 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 9 in
|All values from NFL Combine/South Carolina's Pro Day|
New York Giants
The New York Giants selected Adams in the sixth round (184th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. He was the seventh tight end selected and was the last of three South Carolina players drafted, after Pharoh Cooper and Brandon Shell.
Throughout training camp, he competed with Matt LaCosse, Larry Donnell, Will Tye, and Ryan Malleck for the job as the starting tight end. Head coach Ben McAdoo named him the third tight end on the Giants' depth chart, behind veterans Donnell and Tye.
On September 18, 2016, he made his professional regular season debut in the New York Giants' 16–13 victory over the New Orleans Saints in Week 2. On October 9, 2016, Adams made two receptions for 27 yards during the Giants' 23–16 loss at the Green Bay Packers. He made his first career reception on a 13-yard pass by Eli Manning in the fourth quarter before being tackled by linebacker Joe Thomas. On November 6, 2016, Adams caught three passes for a season-high 24 receiving yards during a 28–23 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. The following week, he caught a season-high tying three passes for 18-yards and a touchdown in a 21–20 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 10. He scored his first career touchdown on a ten-yard pass by Eli Manning in the first quarter. In Week 15, Adams earned his first career start and had three catches for 18-yards as the Giants defeated the Detroit Lions 17–6. He was inactive for the Giants' 19-10 victory over the Washington Redskins in Week 17. He finished the 2016 season with 16 receptions for 122 receiving yards and one touchdown in 13 games and two starts. The New York Giants finished with an 11-5 record and received a playoff berth after finishing second in the NFC East. Adams was inactive for their NFC Wildcard loss to the Green Bay Packers.
Adams entered training camp competing against Rhett Ellison, Will Tye, and Matt LaCosse for the second tight end position behind rookie first round pick Evan Engram. New head coach and former Giants' offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo named Adams the No. 3 tight end behind Evan Engram and Rhett Ellison to begin the regular season.
On September 18, 2017, Adams had one reception for a season-high 38 receiving yards in a 24–10 loss at the Detroit Lions. Head coach Ben McAdoo was fired after Week 13, due to the Giants poor 2-10 record. On December 24, 2017, he made a season-high four receptions for 31-yards as the Giants lost 23–0 at the Arizona Cardinals. He finished the 2017 season with eight receptions for 92 receiving yards in 16 games and one start.
On September 2, 2018, Adams was waived by the Giants.
- Jerell Adams wants to keep his NFL Draft stock on the rise
- It’s looking like Jerell Adams’ world
- Jerell Adams excited by two tight-end system revival
- USC tight end Jerell Adams seeks elusive ‘big year’
- "Adams accepts Senior Bowl invite". 247sports.com. December 14, 2014.
- Knox Bardeen (January 28, 2016). "2016 Senior Bowl: Ex-South Carolina TE Jerell Adams stole the show at Thursday's practice". seccountry.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "Reese's Senior Bowl: Summary". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- James Brady (February 27, 2016). "NFL Combine 2016 results: Full times, measurements for tight ends". sbnation.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "South Carolina football Pro Day testing results, numbers". thestate.com. March 30, 2016. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "WR Cooper works out for NFL execs on South Carolina pro day". usatoday.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "Jerell Adams, DS #4 TE, South Carolina". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Chris Burke (April 12, 2016). "2016 NFL draft position rankings". si.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Mike Mayock (April 27, 2016). "Mike Mayock's 2016 NFL Draft position rankings 5.0". NFL.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Jerell Adams". NFL.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "Jerell Adams Contract Details". Spotrac.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Eisen, Michael (May 6, 2016). "Giants sign four draft picks & 14 undrafted free agents". Giants.com. Retrieved August 4, 2016.
- Ed Valentine (September 5, 2016). "New York Giants' unofficial depth chart as 2016 season is set to begin". bigblueview.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "NFL Game Center: Week 5-2016: New York Giants @ Green Bay Packers". NFL.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "NFL Game Center: Week 10-2016: Cincinnati Bengals @ New York Giants". NFL.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Jerell Adam (2016)". NFL.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Ed Valentine (September 5, 2017). "Giants 2017 Depth Chart: Let's See What It Looks Like". BigBlueView.com. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Jerell Adams (2017)". NFL.com. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- Eisen, Michael (September 2, 2018). "Giants waive QB Davis Webb, announce practice squad among roster moves". Giants.com.
- Wilson, Aaron (October 10, 2018). "Texans sign TE Jerell Adams to practice squad, work out 2 other TEs". Chron.com.
- "TRANSACTIONS: Texans sign eight players to reserve/future contracts". HoustonTexans.com. January 7, 2019. Retrieved January 7, 2019.