Jeremiah Caleb Fraites (born January 17, 1986) is an American musician, composer, song-writer, and multi-instrumentalist. He is the co-founder of The Lumineers and is a songwriter for the band. He was born and raised in Ramsey, New Jersey, and now lives in Denver, Colorado with his wife Francesca and his dog Spaghetti.
Jeremiah Fraites' family is from Ramsey, New Jersey; his mother is the director of the Redeemer Christian Nursery School in Ramsey. Fraites graduated from Ramsey High School in 2004, and William Paterson University in 2009.
Fraites' brother Josh (1982-2001) was a friend of Wesley Schultz; after Josh's death, Jeremiah Fraites and Schultz began playing music together as a way to cope with their shared loss. After years of playing in the Fraites home, in 2005, they relocated to New York City and began to play in small clubs and at open mic nights in an attempt to find success in the music business. They played several types of music, and occasionally included other musicians while they played under various names, including Free Beer and Wesley Jeremiah.
Move to Denver
In 2009, Fraites graduated from college. Unhappy at having to work multiple jobs to make ends meet while attempting to become full time musicians, Fraites and Schultz decided to relocate to Denver, which had a lower cost of living. They eventually placed a Craigslist ad for a cello player, which led to Neyla Pekarek joining the band.
A self-financed tour in 2009-2010 led to the band being signed to a management contract. Their management company financed an EP. As they became better known, their self-financed tour and their EP led to The Lumineers being signed to a recording contract. The band subsequently released the albums The Lumineers (2012) and Cleopatra (2016).
|Year||Artist||Song||Co-written with||U.S. peak
|2012||The Lumineers||"Ho Hey"||Wesley Schultz||3||8|
|2012||The Lumineers||"Stubborn Love"||Wesley Schultz||70||—|
- Carrera, Catherine (February 14, 2013). "Ramsey's 'Lumineer' Mom Shares Proud Moment". Ramsey Suburban News. Ramsey, NJ.
- Krueger, Kathleen. "Neyla Pekarek: The Path of the Girl in the Band". HERLIFE Magazine. Highlands Ranch, CO.
- Laudadio, Marisa (January 19, 2013). "Five Things to Know About The Lumineers". People. New York, NY.
- Trust, Gary (April 20, 2016). "The Lumineers Light Up Billboard Artist 100 at No. 1". Billboard. Hollywood, CA.
- "Today's Celebirthdays". The Bullsheet. Brea, CA: New Dream Network, LLC. January 17, 2014.