Jeremy Jones (freerider)
January 14, 1975
|Occupation||Snowboarder, Founder and CEO of Jones Snowboards|
|Known for||Snowboarding, Snowboard Manufacturing|
|Home town||Truckee, CA|
Jeremy Jones (born January 14, 1975 in Cape Cod, MA) is an American professional snowboarder known for big mountain freeriding and is the founder of his own freeride-oriented snowboard brand, Jones Snowboards. In addition to creating and improving his line of snowboards, Jones works to create films that record his climbing and snowboarding adventures around the world. In November 2012, Jones was selected by National Geographic Magazine as a nominee for Adventurer of the Year, based on his, "remarkable achievements in exploration, conservation, humanitarianism, and adventure sports."  Jones is also the founder of the non-profit group, Protect Our Winters, which works to reduce the effects of global climate change by means of educational, activist and community based projects. He is sponsored by: O'Neill, POC, CLIF Bar, Scott, Giro, 661 and Blue Bird Wax.
Jones grew up in various parts of the New England region of the United States, including Massachusetts, Vermont, and Maine. He attended Carrabassett Valley Academy in Carrabassett Valley, Maine and graduated in 1993. He started snowboarding in 1984, he was sponsored by Rossignol in 1989, and he became a professional snowboarder two years later in 1991.
After racing for many years, Jones focused his efforts on big mountain snowboarding, particularly in Alaska. His snowboarding style was a seminal influence on modern freeriding, and today Jones is regarded as a pioneer of professional big mountain riding.
Jones regularly rides with Xavier de le Rue, Jonas Emery, Mads Jonsson, Victoria Jealouse and Johan Olofsson. The Jones snowboards team consists of Jonaven Moore, Ryland Bell, Forrest Shearer, Miikka Hast and Ralph Backstorm. Jeremy regularly participates in the Swatch O'Neill Big Mountain Pro tour. When he is not traveling he lives in Truckee, CA, with his wife Tiffany who is a real estate agent in the Lake Tahoe area, and his two children, Mia and Cass with whom he rides with at his home resort of Squaw Valley.
In 2007 Jones founded Protect Our Winters (POW), a non-profit organization dedicated to reversing the global warming crisis by uniting the winter sports community and focusing its collective efforts towards reversing the damage done by climate change. As a testament to Jones' commitment to the environment, he has recently decided to forego the use of helicopters and lifts, opting instead to hike as his sole means of transportation on the slopes.
In 2009 Jones left his original snowboard sponsor Rossignol and announced his own line of snowboards tailored for big mountain and backcountry riding, Jones Snowboards. They were available as of the 2013/2014 season and have a significant share of the growing splitboard market.
Jones has been featured in many snow sports films and documentaries, including:
- Soul Purpose (Teton Gravity Research, 2004)
- White Balance (Standard Films, 2004)
- Lost in Transition (Standard Films, 2005)
- The Tangerine Dream (Teton Gravity Research, 2005)
- Anomaly (Teton Gravity Research, 2006)
- Paradox (Standard Films, 2006)
- Draw the Line (Standard Films, 2007)
- That's It, That's All (Brain Farm, 2008)
- Deeper (Teton Gravity Research, 2010)
- The Art of Flight (Brain Farm, 2011)
- Further (Teton Gravity Research, 2012)
- Higher (Teton Gravity Research, 2014)
- The Fourth Phase (Brain Farm, 2016)
- Ode to Muir (Teton Gravity Research, 2018)
- Roadless (Teton Gravity Research, 2019)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-07-23. Retrieved 2008-08-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2008-08-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Snowboarder Jeremy Jones on the Rebirth of Free-Riding and His New Film, Deeper". Exploration & Adventure. 2010-12-15. Retrieved 2019-03-28.
- Jeremy Jones on preserving Wilderness Jeremy's take on why wilderness matters, including an exclusive video produced by Teton Gravity Research.
- Jeremy Jones on Go211.com Exclusive photos, videos and blogs submitted by Jeremy.
- nthWORD article Winter Running Dry by Shanie Matthew Story of Protect our Winters (POW), founded by Jeremy Jones.
- Posts tagged 'Jeremy Jones' on SuperStoker
- Jeremy Jones Snowboards