Jeremy Lefroy in 2018
|Member of Parliament |
|Assumed office |
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||David Kidney|
|Born||30 May 1959|
|Alma mater||King's College, Cambridge|
Jeremy John Elton Lefroy (born 30 May 1959) is a British Conservative Party politician. He was first elected as the Member of Parliament for the Stafford constituency at the 2010 general election.
Early life and career
He also founded and runs Equity for Africa, a charitable trust which seeks to alleviate poverty in a self-sustaining way by creating jobs through investing in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Africa.
Lefroy was one of the three Conservative Councillors for the Westlands ward of Newcastle-under-Lyme Council. Since a Conservative-led joint administration with the Liberal Democrats took control from Labour in May 2006, he served as the Portfolio holder for Finance and Efficiency in the Borough.
Lefroy was the official Conservative Party candidate for Newcastle-under-Lyme at the 2005 general election, losing to the sitting Labour MP, Paul Farrelly. He polled 9,945 votes, which is a decrease from the 10,664 votes that the Conservatives recorded at the previous General Election; representing a fall in the Conservative share of the vote from 26.7% to 25%, although this did also represent a 2.7% swing from Labour to the Conservatives, as Labour lost vote share at an even faster rate.
In Parliament, he served on the Select Committee for International Development.
In 2013, Lefroy was elected chair of The Parliamentary Network on the World Bank & International Monetary Fund.
- "Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "No. 59418". The London Gazette. 13 May 2010. p. 8745.
- "Jeremy Lefroy MP". Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Profile". The Telegraph. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "About Jeremy". Jeremy Lefroy. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Stafford". Election 2010. BBC. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Jeremy Lefroy retains Stafford seat". Staffordshire newsletter. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Jeremy Lefroy". Parliament UK. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Lefroy, Jeremy; Bruce, Fiona (18 August 2014). "Marriage must be at the centre of Tory policy". The Telegraph. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Madeley, Pete (16 November 2017). "Jeremy Lefroy - I won't be a Brexit rebel". Express & Star. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "What is the 1922 committee, who is on it and what do they do?". Metro. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- "People". www.christian-conservatives.org.uk. Retrieved 27 May 2017.
- Official website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Stafford
2010 – present