Jeremy Phillips (born 25 December 1951) is a retired British academic, author, editor, publisher, and commentator in intellectual property (IP) law. In 2007, he was reported to be "a respected IP academic" and "a well-known figure among IP lawyers."
He read law at Cambridge University in the early 1970s, and went on doing a PhD at the University of Kent. He then taught law at Trinity College Dublin, Durham University, and Queen Mary University of London.
In 1990, he launched the Managing Intellectual Property magazine and sold it to Euromoney Publications in 1991. He also edited the magazines Patent World, Trademark World and Copyright World and cofounded the IPKat weblog. He also contributed to the Afro-IP blog and the Class 46 blog on European Trade Mark law. He was editor of the Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (JIPLP), European Trade Mark Reports and European Copyright and Design Reports journals. He was also a council member of the Intellectual Property Institute.
He was consultant at the law firm Slaughter and May until May 2007 and worked as a consultant at the law firm Olswang from June 2007 until his retirement in 2015. He was visiting professor at the Faculty of Laws of University College London (UCL), the Bournemouth Law School, Bournemouth University, and the University of Alicante. He was also professorial fellow at the Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute from 2003 to 2006.
- Employees' Inventions in the United Kingdom, ESC Pub., 1982, ISBN 0-906214-11-4, coauthored with M J Hoolahan
- An Introduction to Intellectual Property Law, Butterworths Law, 1995, ISBN 0-406-04515-1, coauthored with Alison Firth
- Trade Mark Law: A Practical Anatomy, Oxford University Press, 2003 ISBN 0-19-926796-0
- jeremyphillips.blogspot.com, Welcome! Archived 2011-07-08 at the Wayback Machine.. Consulted on March 24, 2007.
- Nurton, James (4 December 2015). "A retirement lunch with Jeremy Phillips". Managing Intellectual Property. London: Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC. Retrieved 24 December 2017.
- Ben Moshinsky, Olswang returns to Slaughters to bolster IP team, The Lawyer, May 14, 2007. Consulted on May 16, 2007.
- Charlotte Edmond, Olswang hires Slaughters consultant for IP boost, Legal Week, May 14, 2007. Consulted on May 16, 2007.
- Jeremy Phillips, A Day in the Life of an IP Blog-Meister, WIPO Magazine, April 2008.
- Intellectual Property Institute web site, Who we are. Consulted on March 27, 2007.
- Olswang web site, IP expert Jeremy Phillips joins Olswang, Olswang news, May 14, 2007. Consulted on July 1, 2007.
- Magister Lvcentinvs web site, Teaching staff. Consulted on March 24, 2007.