Jeremy Smith (ice hockey)
Smith in September 2015.
April 13, 1989 |
Dearborn, Michigan, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||175 lb (79 kg; 12 st 7 lb)|
|NHL team||Colorado Avalanche|
|NHL Draft||54th overall, 2007
Jeremy Smith (born April 13, 1989) is an American professional ice hockey goaltender. He is currently playing with the Colorado Avalanche of the National Hockey League (NHL). Smith was selected in the second round, 54th overall, by the Nashville Predators in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
On July 5, 2013, Smith signed a one-year contract as a free agent with the Columbus Blue Jackets. After attending the Blue Jackets training camp he was assigned to AHL affiliate, the Springfield Falcons.
On July 2, 2014, Smith signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Boston Bruins. Smith was sent down to Providence Bruins to be a call up along with Malcolm Subban for the majority of the season.
On July 1, 2015 the Boston Bruins re-signed Smith to a one-year, two way contract. With Smith unable to earn the backup role and with the Bruins suffering a surplus of goaltenders in their system, he was assigned on loan to AHL affiliate club of the Minnesota Wild, the Iowa Wild, for the duration of the 2015–16 season on October 6, 2015. On February 6, 2016, Providence's Malcolm Subban was hospitalized after taking a puck to the throat. With Subban ruled out for 8 weeks due to this injury, Smith was recalled from his loan with Iowa Wild to provide Providence cover. In Subban's absence, Smith was a stand out for Providence, posting 13 wins in 20 games and earning his first recall to the NHL, on an emergency basis, on April 9, 2016. He was returned to the AHL for the post-season without featuring for the Bruins.
At the conclusion of the season, Smith left the Bruins organization as a free agent. On July 1, 2016, he signed a one-year, two-way contract to join the Colorado Avalanche. Smith began the 2016–17 season in the AHL with affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage. He was injured in his third game with the Rampage and missed two months of action before returning to post his first win with the Rampage in a 4–2 victory over the Tucson Roadrunners on December 17, 2016. On December 27, Smith was recalled by the Avalanche after injury to starting goaltender Semyon Varlamov, and backed up Calvin Pickard for five games before he was returned to the Rampage on January 5, 2017. With Varlamov suffering a season ending injury, Smith was recalled on a second occasion on February 9, 2017. He made his NHL debut with the Avalanche, making 37 saves in a 3–2 defeat to the New Jersey Devils on February 14, 2017. In his third start with the Avalanche he received his first NHL win, making 34 saves in the teams 5–3 win over the Buffalo Sabres on February 25, 2017.
Regular season and playoffs
|2016–17||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||17||5||8||0||841||36||0||2.57||.911||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|Dave Pinkney Trophy (Shared with Michal Neuvirth)||2007|||
|CHL Top Prospects Game||2007|
|Playoff MVP (Shared with Robert Mayer)||2010|||
|Kelly Cup (Cincinnati Cyclones)||2010|
- "Jeremy Smith prospect profile". hockeysfuture.com. 2013-02-03. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- "Jeremy Smith reassigned to Cincinnati". sportsblubber.com. 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2010-04-05.[permanent dead link]
- "Ryan Jones Recalled by Nashville". Milwaukee Admirals. 2010-05-04. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "Blue Jackets sign Craig, Bass and Smith". Columbus Blue Jackets. 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- "Bruins sign Jeremy Smith". Boston Bruins. 2014-07-02. Retrieved 2014-07-02.
- "Bruins Sign Ryan Spooner To Two-Year Contract, Jeremy Smith To One-Year Deal". NESN. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2015-07-06.
- "Bruins assign goaltender Jeremy Smith to Iowa Wild". Boston Bruins. 2015-10-06. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- "Bruins recall Jeremy Smith from Providence on Emergency basis". National Hockey League. 2016-04-09. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Colorado inks eight to contracts". Colorado Avalanche. 2016-07-01. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Rampage double up Roadrunners". American Hockey League. 2016-12-17. Retrieved 2016-12-17.
- "Jeremy Smith to make first NHL appearance in Avalanche net against Devils". Denver Post. 2017-02-14. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Devils defeat Avalanche in Jeremy Smith debut". Denver Post. 2017-02-14. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Jeremy Smith has 34 saves in Avalanche win over Sabres". Denver Post. 2017-02-25. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "Player Bio – Jeremy Smith". The Hockey News. 2012-05-12. Retrieved 2012-05-13.