May 26, 1986 |
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
|Other names||Lil' Heathen|
|Residence||San Diego, California, United States|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||71.0 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||San Diego, California, United States|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-JitsuPurple belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Jeremy Dean Stephens (born May 26, 1986) is an American professional mixed martial artist competing in the UFC's Featherweight division. As of July 28, 2016, he is #7 in the official UFC featherweight rankings.
Stephens was born in Des Moines, Iowa and came from a broken home. When he was eight years old, Stephens parents divorced and he constantly switched between schools while also living in various apartments, shelters, and even in his mother's car before moving to Norwalk, Iowa with his father, who was granted custody of Stephens when he was in the fifth grade. Growing up, Stephens played baseball, basketball, and also competed in wrestling. Stephens attended Norwalk High School where he was a standout in baseball and wrestling, having returned to wrestling during his senior year. Stephens was introduced to mixed martial arts by his grandfather who had also originally persuaded Stephens to compete in wrestling. While beginning his career in mixed martial arts, Stephens looked up to and later became friends with fellow Des Moines native Josh Neer.
Mixed martial arts career
At age 16, Stephens began mixed martial arts as an amateur and began full-time training at the age of 18. Stephens was the UGC and MCC Lightweight Champion.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
After the loss he rebounded with an emphatic come from behind knockout victory over BJJ black belt and future UFC Lightweight Champion, Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 91. He was out-grappled the first two rounds but in the third came out swinging and landed a huge uppercut on dos Anjos that knocked him unconscious.
Stephens was expected to return to the octagon on September 16, 2009 at UFC Fight Night: Diaz vs. Guillard against UFC newcomer Ronnys Torres. However, Torres sustained an injury during training and was replaced by Justin Buchholz. Stephens defeated Buchholz after landing several big strikes and opening up a deep gash on Buchholz's forehead, forcing the doctor to stop the fight midway through the first round.
Stephens faced Marcus Davis on January 1, 2011 at UFC 125. After likely losing the first two rounds, Stephens then came out more aggressive in the third round and caught Davis with a counter punch resulting in a KO win.
Stephens was expected to face Jonathan Brookins on June 4, 2011 at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale. However, Brookins was forced from the bout with an injury and replaced by Danny Downes. Stephens defeated Downes via unanimous decision after dominating all three rounds.
Stephens was expected to face Yves Edwards on October 5, 2012 at UFC on FX 5. However, the bout was cancelled due to Stephens being arrested on the day of the event for an assault charge that dates back to 2011. The fight eventually took place on December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5. Edwards won by knockout in the first round, being the first fighter to ever stop Stephens via strikes.
Stephens was expected to face Rony Jason on October 9, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 29. However, Jason pulled out of the bout citing an injury (lumbar hernia). The bout eventually took place on November 9, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 32. Stephens won via knockout early in the first round.
Stephens faced Renan Barão on May 29, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 88. He won the back and forth bout by unanimous decision. Both participants were awarded Fight of the Night honors for their performance.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|37 matches||25 wins||12 losses|
|Win||25–12||Renan Barão||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Almeida vs. Garbrandt||May 29, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||24–12||Max Holloway||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 194||December 12, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||24–11||Dennis Bermudez||TKO (flying knee and punches)||UFC 189||July 11, 2015||3||0:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (149.5 lbs) bout; Stephens missed weight.|
|Loss||23–11||Charles Oliveira||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned Finale||December 12, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (146.5 lbs) bout; Oliveira missed weight.|
|Loss||23–10||Cub Swanson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Stephens||June 28, 2014||5||5:00||San Antonio, Texas, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||23–9||Darren Elkins||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Thomson||January 25, 2014||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||22–9||Rony Jason||KO (head kick)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson||November 9, 2013||1||0:40||Goiânia, Brazil|
|Win||21–9||Estevan Payan||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 160||May 25, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Featherweight debut.|
|Loss||20–9||Yves Edwards||KO (punches and elbows)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||1||1:55||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Loss||20–8||Donald Cerrone||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||20–7||Anthony Pettis||Decision (split)||UFC 136||October 8, 2011||3||5:00||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||20–6||Danny Downes||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos Finale||June 4, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||19–6||Marcus Davis||KO (punch)||UFC 125||January 1, 2011||3||2:33||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||18–6||Melvin Guillard||Decision (split)||UFC 119||September 25, 2010||3||5:00||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||18–5||Sam Stout||Decision (split)||UFC 113||May 8, 2010||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||17–5||Justin Buchholz||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC Fight Night: Diaz vs. Guillard||September 16, 2009||1||3:32||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States||Doctor stoppage due to cut. Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||16–5||Gleison Tibau||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann||April 1, 2009||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Loss||16–4||Joe Lauzon||Submission (armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Lauzon vs. Stephens||February 7, 2009||2||4:43||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Win||16–3||Rafael dos Anjos||KO (punches)||UFC 91||November 15, 2008||3||0:39||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||15–3||Spencer Fisher||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs Team Forrest Finale||June 21, 2008||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–2||Cole Miller||TKO (punches and elbows)||UFC Fight Night: Swick vs Burkman||January 23, 2008||2||4:44||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–2||Diego Saraiva||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 76||September 22, 2007||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||13–2||Nick Walker||TKO (punches)||MCC 9: Heatwave||July 27, 2007||1||4:45||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Loss||12–2||Din Thomas||Submission (armbar)||UFC 71||May 26, 2007||2||2:44||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–1||Vern Jefferson||TKO (punches)||Greensparks: Full Contact Fighting 3||March 17, 2007||1||3:58||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||11–1||Norm Alexander||Submission (triangle choke)||TFC: Battle at the Barn||February 21, 2007||1||3:26||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||10–1||Chris Mickle||TKO (punches)||MCC 5: Thanksgiving Throwdown||November 22, 2006||4||0:27||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||9–1||Aaron Williams||TKO (punches)||Universal Gladiator Championships 4||September 22, 2006||1||N/A||Kenner, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||8–1||Doug Alcorn||Submission (armbar)||Greensparks: Full Contact Fighting 1||August 19, 2006||1||1:56||Clive, Iowa, United States|
|Win||7–1||Chris Mickle||TKO (punches)||MCC 4: The Rematch||July 15, 2006||2||3:36||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||6–1||Kendrick Johnson||TKO (punches)||Midwest Cage Championships 1||February 11, 2006||1||1:46||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||5–1||Will Shutt||TKO (punches)||XKK: Trials||August 27, 2005||1||1:19||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||4–1||Sharome Blanchard||TKO (punches)||XKK: Des Moines||March 19, 2005||1||2:36||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Loss||3–1||Chris Mickle||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Downtown Destruction 3||May 2, 2005||2||1:51||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||3–0||Chris Caleb||TKO (punches)||Downtown Destruction 2||February 2, 2005||1||1:44||Owatonna, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||2–0||Gary Percival||Submission (punches)||Jungle Madness 2||January 15, 2005||1||N/A||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ted Worthington||TKO (punches)||Downtown Destruction 1||January 12, 2005||1||0:33||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
- Thomas Gerbasi (June 27, 2014). "Jeremy Stephens: A Five-Year Education". UFC.com.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Jeremy Stephen's UFC.com Bio". Archived from the original on January 31, 2009. Retrieved February 8, 2009.
-  Jeremy Stephens, not Efrain Escudero, likely faces Nik Lentz at UFC Fight Night 20]
- "Melvin Guillard vs. Jeremy Stephens targeted for UFC 119 main card in Indy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "Jeremy Stephens vs. Jonathan Brookins likely for The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- "Downes replaces injured Brookins at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. May 10, 2011.
- "UFC 136: Anthony Pettis vs Jeremy Stephens announced for Oct. 8 in Houston, Texas". mmamania.com. July 16, 2011.
- "Edwards out, Stephens in against Cerrone at UFC on FUEL TV 3". MMAjunkie.com. February 27, 2012. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- "Yves Edwards to meet Jeremy Stephens at UFC on FX 5 in Minneapolis". mmajunkie.com. August 1, 2012. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- Halvatzis Jr., George (2012-10-05). "Dana White tries to explain bizarre Jeremy Stephens arrest in Minnesota". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- "Jeremy Stephens vs. Estevan Payan slated for UFC 160 on May 25". MMAjunkie.com. February 27, 2013.
- Staff (2013-08-08). "Jeremy Stephens vs. Rony Jason Agreed to for Unannounced UFC Fight Night in Brazil". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- Staff (2013-09-15). "Rony Jason pulled from UFC Fight Night 29 card against Jeremy Stephens". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- Staff (2013-09-25). "Rony Jason vs. Jeremy Stephens rescheduled for UFC Fight Night 32 in November". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- Ben Fowlkes (2013-11-09). "UFC Fight Night 32 results and gif: Jeremy Stephens demolishes Rony Jason". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-09.
- Matt Erickson (2013-11-16). "Darren Elkins vs. Jeremy Stephens set for UFC on FOX 10 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Damon Martin (2014-03-18). "Cub Swanson vs. Jeremy Stephens headlines UFC Fight Night in San Antonio". msn.foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- MMAFighting Newswire (September 30, 2014). "Jeremy Stephens to clash with Charles Oliveira at TUF 20 Finale". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Staff (2015-03-31). "Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens booked for UFC 189 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-07-11). "UFC 189 results: Jeremy Stephens knee plants Dennis Bermudez for TKO in brawl". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-11.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-09-03). "UFC 194 update: Max Holloway to lock horns with Jeremy Stephens in Las Vegas". sherdog.com.com. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-12-12). "UFC 194 results: UFC 194 results: Max Holloway tops Jeremy Stephens for 8th straight, wants title shot". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- Jesse Holland (2016-03-17). "Renan Barao jumps to featherweight, fights Jeremy Stephens on May 29". Retrieved 2016-03-17.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-05-29). "UFC Fight Night 88 results: Jeremy Stephens upsets Renan Barao, spoils ex-champ's jump to featherweight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-05-30). "UFC Fight Night bonuses: Garbrandt, Stephens, Barao, Collier pocket $50K Awards". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- Jesse Holland (2016-09-15). "UFC 205: Frankie Edgar vs Jeremy Stephens on tap for Nov. 12 in New York". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- Jeremy Stephens (lilheathenmma) on Twitter
- "The new "Mr. International," Jeremy Stephens, plans on stealing the show at UFC 113". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2010-05-04. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "MMAjunkie's 'Fight of the Month' for June 2014". MMAjunkie. 2014-07-11. Retrieved 2016-09-28.