Jeremy Workman, Illyuzion Theater (Moscow)
New York City
|Known for||The World Before Your Feet, Magical Universe|
Jeremy Workman is an American filmmaker and editor. His documentary films frequently focus on eccentrics, outsiders, and those with extreme passions. His films include The World Before Your Feet, Magical Universe, and Who Is Henry Jaglom? In most of his films, Workman serves as the director, cinematographer, and editor.
Life and career
Workman was born in New York City and grew up in Los Angeles. He is the son of filmmaker/editor Chuck Workman and began editing documentary projects under his father's tutelage when he was in his teenage years. Workman earned a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from Columbia University.
Workman's most recent documentary, The World Before Your Feet, was released theatrically on November 21, 2018 through distributor Greenwich Entertainment. The documentary, about Matt Green's mission to walk every street of New York City, was widely hailed upon its release. It was a New York Times Critic's Pick, a Los Angeles Times Critics Choice, has a 100% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes, holds a 7.7 User Rating on IMDB, and a 4.4 rating (out of 5) on Amazon. The film also marked the producing debut of actor Jesse Eisenberg.
Workman's debut film, Who Is Henry Jaglom? (co-directed with Henry Alex Rubin) was presented at numerous film festivals before premiering on PBS's acclaimed documentary series POV. The documentary on filmmaker Henry Jaglom currently has a 86% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Workman's 2014 documentary Magical Universe was released theatrically on October 31, 2014 with IFC Films. The film is about reclusive outsider artist Al Carbee who created elaborate dioramas and collages featuring Barbie dolls. The film grew out of Workman's 2002 short film Carbee's Barbies and encompasses the final years of Carbee's life, a time when Workman was Carbee's closest friend and his only link to the outside world. The film won several film festival awards and currently has a 7.6 Rating on IMDB.
In addition to being a filmmaker, Workman is widely known for making movie trailers, specifically for indie and documentary films. He has edited over 100 movie trailers and frequently speaks about trailers and movie marketing to filmmakers and film communities throughout the world.
- The World Before Your Feet (2018)
- True New York (2016)
- Magical Universe (2014)
- One Track Mind (2005)
- Who Is Henry Jaglom? (1997)
- "Take Five with Jeremy Workman".
- "Greenwich Entertainment The World Before Your Feet".
- Kenigsberg, Ben (November 21, 2018). "The World Before Your Feet' Review: Walk a Mile — or 8,000 — in Another Man's Shoes". The New York Times. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Rechtshaffen, Michael (November 20, 2018). "Review: Man walks New York step by step, borough by borough in the uplifting documentary 'The World Before Your Feet'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- "The World Before Your Feet". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "The World Before Your Feet". IMDB.
- "The World Before Your Feet".
- Setoodeh, Ramin (March 11, 2018). "Jesse Eisenberg on SXSW Doc 'The World Before Your Feet,' Returning to Lex Luthor". Variety. Archived from the original on March 16, 2018. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Who is Henry Jaglom?".
- "Who Is Henry Jaglom?". Rotten Tomatoes. Rotten Tomatoes.
- "IFC Films Magical Universe".
- "Jeremy Workman Talks About Finding His 'Magical Universe' In Maine". Tribeca Film.
- Gómez, Edward. "Al Carbee's Art of Dolls and Yearning: "Oh, for a real, live Barbie!"". Hyperallergic.
- "Magical Universe". IMDB.
- "The World Before Your Feet Q&A filmmaker Jeremy Workman, film subject Matt Green & JBFC Senior Film Programmer Andrew Jupin".
- "Jeremy Workman Workshop Instructor".
- "How To Cut a Trailer, "Audiencing" as a Verb, and Branded Content: A Report from DOC NYC's Marketing Bootcamp".
- "Charla Pública: "El Éxito De Una Película Comienza Con Un Buen Tráiler"".