Jericho High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Jericho Senior High School|
|Jericho, New York
|Motto||"Excellence in education begins here."|
|School district||Jericho Union Free School District|
|Asst. principals||Dagoberto Artiles and John Mankowich|
|Enrollment||1,123 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.3:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,123 students and 99.6 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.3:1. There were 25 students (2.2% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 3 (0.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Cost of education
For the 2012-2013 school year, Jericho Public School district spent a total of US$114,468,464 for a projected number of 3004 students, of which 1192 were students of Jericho High School. US$38,105 was spent per student, which is US$457,264 for a student studying for 12 years from grade 1 to 12, or US$914,528 for a household with two students.
In the 2011-2012 school year, Jericho Public School district spent a total of US$111,962,251 for 3026 students of K-12, of which 1202 were Jericho High School students. US$37,000 was spent per student, which is US$444,000 for a student studying for 12 years from grade 1 to 12, or US$888,000 for a household with two students.
The school offers many Advanced Placement classes and St. John's University college credit classes, has among the highest average SAT scores in the country, and spends more money on each student than nearly all other Long Island schools. Many Jericho graduates go on to the Ivy League institutions, NYU, SUNY, and many other first and second tier national institutions.
Jericho High School offers clubs and academic extracurricular activities, ranging from Engineering Club to chess. Jericho also has science and social science research programs, consistently producing Siemens and Intel semifinalists, as well as a few Intel finalists. Many students have won the Brain Bee held at LIU Post. The Debate Team has placed in the New York State Forensic League Championship Tournament in the Lincoln Douglas category. The Drama club does two shows per year, one drama and one musical, and is known as the Harlequin Players. Other clubs include Peer Tutoring Club, Blue Key Club, Sunrise Club, Kids Helping Pets Club, Model UN, Model Congress, Quizbowl, GSA, JerEcho, Girls in Engineering, and the Jericho Engineering Club.
The sports teams are known as the Jayhawks. Jericho High School has long-standing rivalries with neighboring Great Neck South High School, Long Beach High School, Syosset High School and Roslyn High School. The 2011, 2012 and 2013 boys' varsity soccer teams won the New York State Championship.
In the 2011-2012 school year, the number of students enrolled were:
- 275 in grade 9
- 321 in grade 10
- 317 in grade 11
- 289 in grade 12
- 1200 total enrollment (grades 9 to 12)
- 3026 total Jericho School District enrollment (K to 12)
The student body in the 2009–2010 school year consisted of:
- 2 American Indian or Alaska Native students, or 0% of the student body
- 26 Black or African American students, or 2% of the student body
- 18 Hispanic or Latino students, or 1% of the student body
- 386 Asian or Native Hawaiian/other Pacific Islander students, or 31% of the student body
- 794 White students, or 65% of the student body
- 17 multiracial students, or 1% of the student body
- Madison Beer (born 1999), singer; signed a contract with Justin Bieber
- Jon Carin (born 1964), musician, Pink Floyd
- Adrienne Shelly (1966–2006), producer, actress, filmmaker
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (born 1981), actress; played Meadow Soprano on the HBO series The Sopranos
- Eric Shaw (born 1973), Emmy Award-winning writer
- School data for Jericho Senior High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- School Comprehensive Information Report (PDF); URL accessed June 1, 2011.
- Marks, Mary. "Jericho High School Alumni Hall of Fame Hosts the Sixteenth Annual Induction Ceremony", Syosset-Jericho Tribune, April 28, 2006. Accessed March 3, 2008. "Jon Carin, a graduate of the class of 1982, was recognized for his accomplishments in the field of music. As a longtime member of the group Pink Floyd, Carin has mastered the art of producing and writing music, playing guitar, bass, keys, drums and vocals."
- Fischler, Marcelle S. "LONG ISLAND JOURNAL; Three Who Write the Island's Rhythms", The New York Times, November 24, 2002. Accessed October 2, 2007. "Ms. Sigler, who grew up in Jericho and started acting and singing at age 7, is a soprano. She honed her skills at Jericho High School and the Cultural Arts Playhouse in Old Bethpage."