Jerome C. Glenn
Jerome C. Glenn (born August 9, 1945) is a futurist that currently serves as the Director of The Millennium Project. He previously was the Executive Director of the American Council for the United Nations University (1988-2007) and the Deputy Director of Partnership for Productivity International.
Glenn graduated from American University with a BA in Philosophy (1968) and Antioch University New England with a MA in Teaching Social Science (1971). In 1972 Glenn invented the Futures wheel, a new method of brainstorming about the future, and in 1973 he coined the term "futuring." He then joined the Peace Corps, and as a volunteer he focused on how tropical medicine can be used to combat Leprosy; his efforts lead Saturday Review to label Glenn as one of America's most gifted leaders in a 1974 article.
Glenn helped to craft the section of the SALT II treaty (1979) that prohibited the USSR from deploying its Fractional Orbital Bombardment System. In 1983 he created CARINET, a computer network that CGNET Services International later acquired, and through CARINET he introduced data packet switching to numerous countries in the developing world. In 1996 Glenn and Theodore J. Gordon wrote a report in cooperation with the Smithsonian Institution and The Futures Group about the feasibility of establishing a futures think tank; later that year he co-founded The Millennium Project, an organization that evaluates 15 global challenges to the future of humanity. He authors an annual publication, State of the Future, on behalf of The Millennium Project, and in the book he uses a compilation of various methodologies in order to ensure effective forecasting. As Director of The Millennium Project he consults governments, organizations, and corporations about his forecasting methodology and on other issues, such as defense and technology.
Glenn believes that horizontal organizational structures are more effective than vertical ones. He declared, "The future of management is not based on a hierarchical structure, but on connecting different lines of action through nodes." According to Glenn, such human cooperation is necessary in order to create collective intelligence. Consequently, he has praised Wikipedia as a model for how to use international cooperation as a way to foster collective intelligence.
Glenn also argues that the 15 global challenges that he identifies are all interrelated. From his perspective, improvements in one area (such as access to clean water) will lead to advances in others (such as the rich-poor gap). Hence, Glenn believes that these issues need to be solved simultaneously.
2012 State of the Future (2012)
2010 State of the Future (2010)
Industry into Orbit (1978)
- Mackenzie, Iain How to predict the future BBC 31 October 2011
- Future of Cities Ljubljana Forum 2011
- Jerome C. Glenn Honorable Cámara De Diputados- Chile
- Wiley, Sean The Alumni Magazine Antioch University New England Winter 2012
- Hill, Ruth The Futures Wheel Mind Tools
- Future of Cities Ljubljana Forum 2011
- Addressing Climate Change United Nations General Assembly
- Jerome C. Glenn Executive director for the American Council for the United Nations University Doug Engelbart Institute
- Cleveland, Cutler and Najam, Adil Making the Great Transformation The Frederick S. Pardee Center for the Study of the Longer-Range Future at Boston University Fall 2003
- Dalby, Scott and Vries, Geert de State of the Future: Global futures research confronting the challenges of our times to build a better future for all humankind Amsterdam University College 6 February 2015
- Minister Žbogar receives the Director of the Millennium Project, Jerome C. Glenn Republic of Slovenia- Ministry of Foreign Affairs 8 October 2010
- Prospection - The global economy of the 21st century Astana Economic Forum 22 May 2015
- The Future RAND Corporation
- McGuinness, Wendy Interview With Jerome C. Glenn McGuinness Institute
- An Evening with Jerome C. Glenn, CEO Millennium Project ESADE 28 November 2012
- Global Futures Collective Intelligence System World Future Society 27-29 July 2012
- Munshi, Surendra Concerted Action Needed We_Magazine
- Glenn, Linda MacDonald Book Review: The State of the Future 2013-14 Humanity + 13 November 2014