Jerome Clark (born November 27, 1946) is an American writer, specializing in unidentified flying objects and other paranormal subjects. He has appeared on ABC News Special Report, Unsolved Mysteries, Sightings and the A&E Network discussing UFOs and other oddities. Clark is also a country and folk music songwriter of note.
Clark was born and raised in Canby, Minnesota; he attended South Dakota State University and Minnesota State University. He has served as a writer, reporter, and editor for a number of magazines which cover UFOs and other paranormal subjects. He has been an editor of Fate magazine and International UFO Reporter, and a member of the board of directors for the Center for UFO Studies.
Clark authored the multi-volume The UFO Encyclopedia: The Phenomenon From The Beginning with the first edition being published in 1992. Library Journal stated in its review of The UFO Encyclopedia that "A respected UFO authority provides a much-needed update of the [UFO] field with this new encyclopedia...[it] is the most thorough treatment yet of this puzzling phenomenon...the [encyclopedia] should be considered by larger public and academic libraries." Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries wrote that "the articles are factual and balanced, with neither a believer's nor a skeptic's viewpoint predominating", and that The UFO Encyclopedia is "recommended for public libraries and undergraduate collections." In 1997 an abridged, one-volume edition of The UFO Encyclopedia, entitled The UFO Book: Encyclopedia of the Extraterrestrial, was published as a trade paperback. In 1998, The UFO Book won the Benjamin Franklin Award in the Science/Environment category sponsored by the Independent Book Publishers Association.
In its review of his 1999 book Cryptozoology A to Z, Salon commented that Clark and co-author Loren Coleman "show a touchingly supportive nature" for a subject often criticized for lack of scientific rigor.
Sunday Express combined its review of Clark's 2000 book, Extraordinary Encounters, An Encyclopedia of Extraterrestrials and Otherworldly Beings with another similar book entitled UFOs and Popular Culture by James R. Lewis, calling both books "inexplicably entertaining" and commenting that they "manage throughout to maintain a healthy rationality and openmindedness, neither over-sceptical nor too ready to believe the claims of the UFOmongers."
Songwriting and music reviews
Clark has written songs which have been recorded or performed by musicians such as Emmylou Harris, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Tom T. Hall and has collaborated with Robin and Linda Williams. He has also written a number of reviews of American folk music albums and CDs for Rambles magazine.
- Unexplained: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences, and Puzzling Physical Phenomena, third edition, 2012, Visible Ink Press, ISBN 1-57859-344-1
- Hidden Realms, Lost Civilizations, and Beings from Other Worlds, 2010, Visible Ink Press, ISBN 1-57859-175-9
- The Unidentified & Creatures of the Outer Edge by Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman. Anomalist Books, 2006. ISBN 1933665114
- Unnatural Phenomena: A Guide to the Bizarre Wonders of North America, 2005, ABC-Clio Books, ISBN 1-57607-430-7
- Strange Skies: Pilot Encounters with UFOs, 2003, Citadel Books, ISBN 0-8065-2299-2
- Extraordinary Encounters: an Encyclopedia of Extraterrestrials and Otherworldly Beings, 2000, ABC-CLIO. ISBN 1-57607-379-3
- Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras, and Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature by Loren Coleman and Jerome Clark. Simon and Schuster, 1999. ISBN 0684856026
- The UFO Encyclopedia: The Phenomenon From The Beginning (2-Volume Set), 1998, Omnigraphics Books, ISBN 0-7808-0097-4
- The UFO Book: Encyclopedia of the Extraterrestrial, 1997, Visible Ink Press, ISBN 1-57859-029-9
- Spacemen, demons, and conspiracies by Jerome Clark. Fund for UFO Research, 1997
- Encyclopedia of Strange and Unexplained Physical Phenomena, 1993, Thomson Gale Press, ISBN 0-8103-8843-X
- Creatures of the goblin world by Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman. Clark Publications, 1984
- Earths Secret Inhabitants by D Scott Rogo and Jerome Clark. Tempo Books, 1979. ISBN 0-448-17062-0
- The Unidentified: Notes Toward Solving the UFO Mystery by Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman. Warner Paperback Library, 1975. ISBN 0-446-78735-3
- Strange & Unexplained Happenings: When Nature Breaks the Rules of Science by Jerome Clark and Nancy Pear. UXL Publishing. ISBN 0-8103-9780-3
- "Jerome Clark". Contemporary Authors Online. June 12, 2002. Retrieved on April 11, 2012.
- "Jerome Clark". Allmusic.com. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- "Fate Magazine Takes the Fringe of Lunacy and Makes It Believable". Youngstown Daily Vindicator. August 19, 1982. Retrieved on April 11, 2012.
- Nickell, Joe. "Alien implants: The new 'hard evidence'". September/October 1998. Skeptical Inquirer. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- "The CUFOS Organization". The Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS). Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- (https://www.buffalolib.org/vufind/Record/764389/Reviews Archived October 28, 2018, at the Wayback Machine)
- Burgess, Steve. "Loren Coleman, Loch Ness snowman of cryptozoology". Monday, Aug 16, 1999. Salon.com. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- Hartston, William (May 27, 2001). ""Extraordinary Encounters" Jerome Clark. "UFOs and Popular Culture" James R. Lewis. Both ABC-CLIO; Inexplicably entertaining". Sunday Express.
- Alan Poling; Henry Schlinger; Stephen Starin; Elbert Blakely (March 9, 2013). Psychology: A Behavioral Overview. Springer Science & Business Media. pp. 43–. ISBN 978-1-4615-7694-5.
- "Jerome Clark: Reviews by Jerome include:" from Rambles.NET; URL accessed March 6, 2007
- Story, Ronald D. "Clark, Jerome", p. 74–76 in The Encyclopedia of UFOs; Ronald Story, editor; 1980, ISBN 0-385-13677-3
- Story, Ronald D. (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Extraterrestrial Encounters, New American Library, 2001.