Jerome H. Friedman
Jerome H. Friedman
|Born||December 29, 1939|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
Jerome Harold Friedman (born December 29, 1939) is an American statistician, consultant and Professor of Statistics at Stanford University, known for his contributions in the field of statistics and data mining.
In 1968 he started his academic career as research physicist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. In 1972 he started at Stanford University as leader of the Computation Research Group at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, where he would participate until 2003. In the year 1976–77 he was a Visiting Scientist at CERN in Geneva. From 1981 to 1984 he was Visiting Professor at the University of California, Berkeley. In 1982 he was appointed Professor of Statistics at Stanford University.
In 1984 he was elected as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association. In 2002 he was awarded the SIGKDD Innovation Award by the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). In 2010 he was elected as a member of the National Academy of Sciences (Applied mathematical sciences).
Friedman has authored and co-authored many publications in the field of data-mining including "nearest neighbor classification, logistical regressions, and high dimensional data analysis. His primary research interest is in the area of machine learning." A selection:
- Friedman, Jerome H. & Tukey, John W. (1974). "A projection pursuit algorithm for exploratory data analysis". IEEE Transactions on Computers. 23 (9): 881–890. doi:10.1109/T-C.1974.224051. OSTI 1442925. S2CID 7997450.
- Friedman, Jerome H. & Stuetzle, Werner (1981). "Projection pursuit regression". Journal of the American Statistical Association. 76 (376): 817–823. doi:10.1080/01621459.1981.10477729.
- Friedman, Jerome H. (1991). "Multivariate adaptive regression splines". Annals of Statistics. 19 (1): 1–67. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.382.970. doi:10.1214/aos/1176347963. JSTOR 2241837.
- Friedman, Jerome H. (2001). "Greedy function approximation: a gradient boosting machine". Annals of Statistics. 29 (5): 1189–1232. doi:10.1214/aos/1013203451. JSTOR 2699986.
- Jerome H. Friedman Professor of Statistics. Accessed 18 July 2017.
- Jerome H. Friedman Vita December 2012, at stat.stanford.edu. Accessed 18 July 2017.
- Jerome Harold Friedman. Mathematics Genealogy Project
- View/Search Fellows of the ASA, accessed 2016-10-29.
- Dr. Jerome H. Friedman awarded the SIGKDD Innovation Award, 2002.
- Jerome H. Friedman Professor of Statistics