Jerome H. Friedman
Jerome Harold Friedman (born 1939) is an American statistician, consultant and Professor of Statistics at Stanford University, known for his contributions in the field of statistics and data mining.
In 1968 he started his academic career as research physicist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. In 1972 he started at Stanford University as leader of the Computation Research Group, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, where he would participate until 2003. In the year 1976–77 he was Visiting scientist at CERN in Geneva. From 1981 to 1984 he was Visiting Professor at the University of California, Berkeley. In 1982 he got appointed Professor of Statistics at the Department of Statistics of the Stanford University.
In 1984 he was elected as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association. In 2002 he was awarded the SIGKDD Innovation Award by the ACM  In 2010 he is elected members of the National Academy of Sciences (Applied mathematical sciences).
Friedman has authored and co-authored many publications in the field of data-mining including "nearest neighbor classification, logistical regressions, and high dimensional data analysis. His primary research interest is in the area of machine learning." A selection:
- Friedman, Jerome H., and John W. Tukey. "A projection pursuit algorithm for exploratory data analysis." Computers, IEEE Transactions on 100.9 (1974): 881–890.
- Friedman, Jerome H., and Werner Stuetzle. "Projection pursuit regression." Journal of the American statistical Association 76.376 (1981): 817–823.
- Friedman, Jerome H. "Multivariate adaptive regression splines." The annals of statistics (1991): 1–67.
- Friedman, Jerome H. "Greedy function approximation: a gradient boosting machine." Annals of Statistics (2001): 1189–1232.
- Jerome H. Friedman Professor of Statistics. Accessed 30 September 2013.
- Jerome H. Friedman Vita December 2012, at stat.stanford.edu. Accessed 30 September 2013.
- http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=40881 Jerome Harold Friedman]. Mathematics Genealogy Project
- View/Search Fellows of the ASA, accessed 2016-10-29.
- Dr. Jerome H. Friedman awarded the SIGKDD Innovation Award, 2002.
- Jerome H. Friedman Professor of Statistics