Jerome Park Reservoir
Jerome Park Reservoir
|Location||Goulden, Reservoir and Sedgwick Aves., Bronx, New York|
|Architectural style||Art Deco, Other|
|NRHP Reference #||00001014|
|Added to NRHP||September 07, 2000|
The Jerome Park Reservoir is located in Jerome Park, a neighborhood in the North Bronx, New York City. It was built in 1906 to serve the New Croton aqueduct as part of the New York City water supply system.
The reservoir is surrounded by DeWitt Clinton High School, the Bronx High School of Science, Lehman College, High School of American Studies at Lehman College and numerous apartment houses, including the Amalgamated Housing Cooperative, administered by the Park Reservoir Housing Corporation.
It is named for Jerome Park Racetrack, a part of the former Old Bathgate Estate which opened in 1866 and which was the site of the inaugural Belmont Stakes in 1867. The racetrack was condemned, bought by New York City and closed in 1889 to make way for the reservoir.
In 1996, residents organized under the leadership of Jerome Park Conservancy to stop the city from converting the site to a water treatment plant. It was thought that the noise, chemicals, and unsightly construction would decrease the quality of life for area residents, and have a negative impact on the learning environment at nearby schools including DeWittClinton, BxScience, Walton and Lehman College.
The treatment plant was built in another part of The Bronx, minutes away in the middle of Van Cortlandt Park. In connection with this work the Croton system was taken offline and the reservoir emptied in December, 2008. It was refilled and returned to service in early 2014. In November of 2015, the DEP experimentally opened the perimeter to the public for tours.
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Jerome Park Reservoir Scientific American June 1, 1901 via Google Books
- Bathgate Estate
- Kathleen Howe (June 2000). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Jerome Park Reservoir". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2011-01-12. See also: "Accompanying 30 photos".
- Bronx Photo Gallery 2014 Kermit Project
- Jerome Park, at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation