Jerry Anderson (American football coach)
February 21, 1945 |
|Alma mater||University of Florida|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|–1977||Miami Carol City HS (FL)|
|1978||Miami (FL) (ST/LB/strength)|
|1984||UCF (Interim HC)|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
|FHSAA Class 4A (1977)|
Jerry D. Anderson (born February 21, 1945), also known by his nickname "Red Anderson," is an American former college football player and coach.
Anderson attended the University of Florida, where he was defensive lineman for coach Ray Graves' Florida Gators football team from 1964 to 1966. He was senior co-captain of the 1966 Gators team that finished 9–2, and defeated the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, 27–12, in the Orange Bowl – the Gators' first-ever major bowl victory.
Anderson served as the offensive line coach for the UCF Knights football team of the University of Central Florida (UCF) from 1983 to 1984. He became the interim head coach of the Knights in 1984, succeeding Lou Saban in mid-season. Afterward, Anderson became a long-time assistant coach for the Florida Gators, serving for two stints: first, from 1985 to 1994 under head coaches Galen Hall and Steve Spurrier, and later from 2002 to 2004 under head coach Ron Zook. During his 14 years as a Gators assistant, he served as tight ends coach, special teams coach, defensive tackles coach, associate head coach, and defensive line coach.
Head coaching record
|†Indicates Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, BCS, or CFP / New Years' Six bowl.
#Rankings from final Coaches Poll.
- Florida Gators
- Florida Gators football, 1980–89
- Florida Gators football, 1990–99
- List of University of Florida alumni
- 2014 Florida Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 115, 171, 176 (2014). Retrieved October 10, 2014.
- "Jerry Anderson Records by Year". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved December 1, 2007.
- GatorZone.com, Football History, 2004 Roster, Jerry "Red" Anderson. Retrieved October 10, 2014.
- F Club, Hall of Fame, Distinguished Letterwinners. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Jerry "Red" Anderson – Florida Gators coach profile
|This biographical article relating to a college football coach first appointed in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|