The examples and perspective in this article may not include all significant viewpoints. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President pro tempore of the Iowa Senate|
Assumed office |
January 9, 2017
|Preceded by||Steve Sodders|
|Member of the Iowa Senate|
from the 24th district
Assumed office |
January 13, 1997
|Preceded by||Albert Sorensen|
January 31, 1954|
Ames, Iowa, U.S.
Jerry Behn (born January 31, 1954) is the Iowa State Senator from the 24th District and minority leader in the Iowa Senate. A Republican, he has served in the Iowa Senate since 1997, and served as a Boone County Supervisor from 1995 to 1996.
Behn currently serves on several committees in the Iowa Senate - the Appropriations committee; the Commerce committee; the State Government committee; the Environment & Energy Independence committee, where he is the ranking member, and the Ethics committee, where he is the ranking member. He also serves on the Administration and Regulation Appropriations Subcommittee.
Behn was a candidate for the Republican nomination for governor in 2010 but withdrew, endorsing Terry Branstad. His platform included promoting fiscal restraint, preserving right-to-work laws, and allowing Iowans to vote on a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman. He called for voters to vote against retention for those Iowa Supreme Court justices who decided that Iowa's Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional in Varnum v. Brien.
- "Jerry Behn". Iowa Senate Republicans.
- "State of Iowa Official Canvass Summary: November 4, 2008 General Election" (PDF). Michael A. Mauro, Iowa Secretary of State.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-09-05. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
- "The Des Moines Register". Des Moines Register. Archived from the original on 2011-07-09. Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- Boshart, Rod. "Behn enters race for Iowa governor". The Quad-City Times. Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- Senator Jerry Behn official Iowa Legislature site
- Senator Jerry Behn official Iowa General Assembly site
- Senator Jerry Behn at Iowa Senate Republican Caucus
- Profile at Vote Smart
| 40th District
January 13, 1997 – January 13, 2003
| 24th District
January 13, 2003 – present