May 24, 1968 |
Jersey City, New Jersey
|May 11, 1993 for the Cleveland Indians|
|Last MLB appearance|
|October 1, 2000 for the Colorado Rockies|
|Earned run average||4.05|
Gerard Peter Dipoto (born May 24, 1968) is an American former professional baseball player and an executive. He played in Major League Baseball for the Cleveland Indians, New York Mets, and Colorado Rockies from 1993 through 2000. Dipoto has previously served in front office positions with the Arizona Diamondbacks, Los Angeles Angels, and Boston Red Sox. He is currently the general manager of the Seattle Mariners, being hired on September 28, 2015 to replace Jack Zduriencik.
Dipoto was born to Gerard & Barbara Dipoto and has two siblings, Marc Dipoto and Lori Dipoto-Dorsey. He played high school baseball at Toms River High School North in Toms River, New Jersey. He enrolled at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and played college baseball for the VCU Rams.
Front office career
In 2003 he became a scout for the Boston Red Sox, and in 2004 was a part of the World Series winning team as a scout. In 2005 he became the head of the scouting department for the Colorado Rockies. When Josh Byrnes, who Jerry had known since his days as a Rockies player, became the General Manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks, he went with Byrnes to Arizona and became the Director of Scouting and Player Personnel.
Byrnes was fired on July 1, 2010 and Dipoto was named interim General Manager. On September 22, Kevin Towers was named the new Diamondbacks General Manager. Dipoto was offered the opportunity to remain with the Diamondbacks.
On October 28, 2011, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim announced Dipoto would be their next general manager, replacing Tony Reagins. Angels' owner Arte Moreno said that "one of the reasons we hired Jerry is that I really liked the way he viewed baseball analytics." However, Dipoto and manager Mike Scioscia disagreed regarding the use of analytics in baseball decisions, and a rift developed between the two when Dipoto fired Mickey Hatcher from the role of the team's hitting coach. Despite rumors that the Angels might replace either Dipoto or Scioscia after the 2013 season, Moreno announced that both would return to the Angels for the 2014 season.
Tension between Dipoto and Scioscia continued during the 2015 season regarding the way Scioscia and his coaches delivered statistical reports developed by Dipoto and the front office to their players. Dipoto resigned his post on July 1, 2015.
After the Seattle Mariners fired Jack Zduriencik after seven years with the club, they launched a GM search which lasted exactly one month, culminating with the hiring of Dipoto on September 28, 2015.
- Divish, Ryan (September 28, 2015). "Mariners hire Jerry Dipoto as general manager". Seattle Times. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- "3rd Round of the 1989 MLB June Amateur Draft". Baseball Reference. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- Frey, Jennifer (November 19, 1994). "BASEBALL; Mets Trade Burnitz to Indians for Pitching". The New York Times. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- Willis, George (November 28, 1996). "Mets Deal Brogna Away To Obtain Bullpen Help". The New York Times. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- "Diamondbacks make it official: GM Josh Byrnes and manager A.J. Hinch out - Daily Pitch: MLB News, Standings, Schedules & More - USATODAY.com". Content.usatoday.com. July 1, 2010. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- "Futures of Gibson, Dipoto to be decided soon | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. September 22, 2010. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- DiGiovanna, Mike (October 28, 2011). "Angels pick Jerry Dipoto as new general manager". Los Angeles Times.
- Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY Sports (September 22, 2014). "Angels found harmony when Moreno said 'go figure it out'". USA TODAY. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- "Dipoto decides to step down as Angels GM". Major League Baseball. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- "Mike Scioscia of Los Angeles Angels refutes rift with GM Jerry Dipoto". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- "Scioscia, Dipoto to return in 2014". Major League Baseball. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- Digiovanna, Mike (July 1, 2015). "Jerry Dipoto resigns as Angels general manager". LA Times. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- Axisa, Mike (August 12, 2015). "Red Sox hire ex-Angels GM Jerry Dipoto to help with offseason moves". CBS Sports. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- RELIEVED RELIEVER METS' DIPOTO GETS WIN OVER CANCER
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors), or Retrosheet
|Arizona Diamondbacks General Manager
July 1 – September 22
|Los Angeles Angels General Manager
|Seattle Mariners General Manager