Franklin with the Broncos in the 2012 preseason.
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||January 10, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Sunset, Arkansas|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||245 lb (111 kg)|
|High school:||Marion (AR)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2014|
Jerry Franklin (born January 10, 1988) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent in the National Football League (NFL). He was originally signed by the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 2012. Franklin played college football at the University of Arkansas.
High school career
Franklin attended Marion High School, where he was named the Class 6A Offensive Player of the Year and the 6A East Back of the Year as a senior. Considered a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Franklin was listed No. 38 among safety prospects in the nation.
Originally recruited as a defensive back, Franklin moved from safety to linebacker during his redshirt season in 2007. Franklin has started at multiple positions for the Razorbacks, including weakside linebacker and middle linebacker. In his freshman season, Franklin recorded a team-high 87 tackles, and had two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He was named to Sporting News' Freshman All-American team, as well as College Football News' Second Team. During a time when Arkansas's defense struggled with consecutive 12th-place finishes in the SEC in total yards allowed in 2008 and 2009, Franklin was a mainstay of the defense. In his sophomore season he again led the team in tackles with 94, and also had five tackles for loss and one and a half sacks. He recovered two fumbles on the year, returning one of them 85 yards for a touchdown against Texas A&M. Franklin finished his career as a four-year starter for the Hogs. He led Arkansas in tackles in each of the past four years, finishing with 100 or more tackles in his junior and senior seasons- 101 in 2011 and 100 in 2010.
On April 28, 2012, Franklin was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Denver Broncos.
After being waived by the Broncos before the start of the regular season, Franklin was added to the Carolina Panthers' practice squad on October 17, 2012. He was released from the Panthers practice squad on November 13, 2012.
Franklin was signed to the Dallas Cowboys' practice squad on November 14, 2012. He later chose to leave the squad and join the Chicago Bears' 53 man roster.
Franklin was signed by the Chicago Bears on December 11, 2012 to a two-year contract. On August 30, 2013, Franklin was released by the Bears. On September 1, he was added to the Bears' practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster on October 18 after D. J. Williams was placed on injured reserve.
Kansas City Chiefs
New Orleans Saints
Franklin was signed to the New Orleans Saints' practice squad on November 28, 2014. He was promoted to the active roster on December 26, 2014.
- "Rivals.com safeties 2007". Rivals.com. January 25, 2007.
- "Sporting News' college football All-Freshman Team". Sporting News. December 16, 2008. Archived from the original on April 18, 2009.
- Cirminiello, Richard (December 11, 2008). "2008 CFN All-Freshman Second & HM Teams". College Football News.
- "Bears' Gould out for season". Yahoo! Sports. 2012-12-11. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-08-30). "Bears cut 17 players, still have five to go". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- Biggs, Brad (2013-09-01). "Bears sign rookie DE Bass; QB Johnson joins practice squad". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- "Jerry Franklin". kffl.com. Archived from the original on December 29, 2014. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- Twentyman, Tim (February 11, 2016). "Lions sign linebacker Jerry Franklin". Detroit Lions. Retrieved February 11, 2016.