|Minister of Co-operation and Integration in Africa|
June 1999 – January 2001
|Minister of Information and National Orientation|
February 2001 – July 2003
|Preceded by||Dapo Sarumi|
|Succeeded by||Cornelius Adebayo|
30 November 1945 |
Lavun LGA, Niger State, Nigeria
Jerry Gana (born 30 November 1945) is a Nigerian scholar, politician and former Minister for Information under Ernest Shonekan. He was the director of the Mass Mobilization for Social Justice and Economic Recovery, popularly known as MAMSER. Later he became Minister of Information in the cabinet of President Olusegun Obasanjo, and in June 2006 announced plans to run for president.
Jerry Gana was born on 30 November 1945, at Busu in Doko LGA, Niger State. He attended Government College, Bida and Okene Secondary School before being admitted to Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria. He graduated in 1970 and went on for his Masters and Ph.D four years later at Aberdeen University. He was appointed Geography lecturer at ABU in 1973, senior lecturer in 1976, reader in 1980 and professor in 1985.
Early political career
Gana ran unsuccessfully for president in 1992 on the Social Democratic Party platform. He was elected Senator in 1983, serving briefly until the military coup that brought General Muhammadu Buhari to power. He was appointed chairman of Mass Mobilisation for Social and Economic Recovery under General Ibrahim Babangida's government. He subsequently became a cabinet minister for Agriculture and Natural Resources, Information and Culture, Cooperation and Integration in Africa and again for Information and National Orientation.
Gana was the founding national secretary of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) in 1998. In June 2001, President Olusegun Obasanjo appointed Gana Minister of Co-operation and Integration in Africa. In January 2001, Obasanjo dissolved his cabinet. In the new cabinet announced in February 2001 Gana was Minister of Information. Gana was also secretary of the PDP Board of Trustees. Gana resigned in July 2006 as special advisor to President Olusegun Obasanjo, and in August 2006 announced he would contend for the PDP candidature for the 2007 presidential elections.
- 2007 - PDP's Emerging Presidential Queue, Weekly Trust, 22 October 2006
- Nwankwere, Lucky (9 June 2006). "2007: 6 govs, Jerry Gana indicate interest in presidency". Online Nigeria Daily News. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "2007: Is Jerry Gana the much awaited dark horse?". Daily Sun Online. Sun Publishing Limited. 2006-11-06. Archived from the original on 2007-05-04. Retrieved 2007-04-13.
- "2007: After serving severalmasters, Jerry Gana says it's his turn to be president". Daily Sun. 28 August 2006. Archived from the original on 29 February 2008. Retrieved 2010-02-16.
- "OBASANJO HIRES & FIRES". NDM DEMOCRACY WATCH 1999/03. NIGERIAN DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT (NDM). 1 July 1999. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "The Ministers and Their Portfolios". Online Nigeria. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "PDP's Men of Power". ThisDay. 2001-11-10. Archived from the original on 2005-12-02. Retrieved 2010-04-23.
|This article about a Nigerian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|