Jerry Miculek at the 2017 IPSC Rifle World Shoot in Moscow, Russia
7 September 1954 (age 63)|
Freeport, Texas, United States
|Residence||Princeton, Louisiana, United States|
|Occupation||Professional Shooter, World Record holder, World Champion, YouTube personality|
Jerry Charles Miculek, Jr. (// MITCH-ə-lek; born September 7, 1954) is an American professional speed and competition shooter known for his many world records, appearances on TV, and internet videos. Miculek is widely regarded as the fastest and most proficient all-around speed and competition shooter in the world, emptying a five-shot revolver in 0.57 seconds in a group the size of a playing card, thus often being dubbed "The Greatest Shooter of all Time". Miculek currently holds five officially sanctioned world records in revolver shooting and over 15 unsanctioned records with firearms ranging from rapid firing pistols to the Barrett M107 .50 BMG rifle. Some of his more recent accomplishments include 6 shots in .98 seconds with a Barrett M107 50 BMG rifle and a 1000-yard shot off hand with his signature 9 mm Smith & Wesson revolver. In addition, Miculek is an experienced gunsmith who tunes and adjusts his own firearms for optimum function. On top of being one of the top firearms channels on YouTube, he now has his own reality show 'Shootout Lane' on the Outdoor Channel. Born in Freeport, Texas, Miculek grew up in southern Louisiana. He worked as a millwright at Freeport Chemical for fifteen years before becoming a professional shooter in 1989. He is married to Kay Clark Miculek, herself an accomplished shooter, holding numerous national and world titles. His daughter, Lena Miculek-Afentul, is also a successful shooter and world champion crowned recently as the best all around female shooter in the world at the 2014 Trijicon World shooting championship.
As of 2014, Smith & Wesson have also released the Miculek series Smith & Wesson model 929 9mm revolver- Designed in part by Miculek himself. On top of the two revolvers, Miculek also has a signature series Mossberg 930 shotgun and a rifle compensator designed by himself.
Biography and early career
Born in Freeport, Texas, Jerry was a Texan for three days before moving with his family to southern Louisiana where he lived for the next thirty-seven years. Remnants of his Cajun accent can still be heard even though he has lived in northern Louisiana since 1990. Although he was the third born of five boys, Jerry Charles Miculek, Jr. was named after his father after being born on his birthday. Growing up, Jerry showed little interest in “traditional” sports- Shooting and hunting were his passions from an early age. Most of his free time was spent shooting at a local dump in Gramercy, Louisiana with his younger brother, Donnie Miculek. Jerry worked as a millwright at Freeport Chemical for fifteen years before becoming a professional shooter in 1989. At age thirty-seven, Jerry met his future wife, Kay Clark Miculek, the daughter of world-famous gunsmith, Jim Clark, Sr., and a competitive shooter since age six. At age thirty-nine, Jerry received a crash course in childbirth, when the mid-wife scheduled for a planned home birth arrived five minutes too late. Lena Rosalie Miculek weighed in at 7 pounds, 11 ounces- Born March 22, 1995.
Jerry is a complete handyman, gunsmith, mechanic, certified welder, pipe fitter, and machinist.
Jerry estimates that in his lifetime he has shot over 2 million rounds of ammunition, which equals approximately 30 tons of lead.
Major accomplishments and wins
An avid shooter, Jerry holds over 100 national and world shooting titles including:
- Two time Overall IPSC Revolver World Champion (2002 and 2005), and two time Senior IPSC Revolver World Champion (2005 and 2011).
- Seven time USPSA 3-Gun National Championship
- Four time USPSA Multi-gun National Championship
- Four time 2nd Chance Bowling Pin Champion
- 1997, 2007 and 2011 American Handgunner World Shoot-Off Champion, and the only person ever to win this title with a revolver.
- Twenty-one time International Revolver Champion
- Member of seven time winning pro team at the Sportsmans Team Challenge
- Eight time USPSA National Revolver Champion
- Three time Masters International Long Gun Champion
- Ten time IDPA Enhanced Service Revolver Champion
- One time Bianchi Cup NRA World Action Pistol Metallic Champion
Miculek is also one of the only people in the world to hold a life achievement award for shooting.
World records held
|Task||Firearm(s) Used||Time (sec)||Date||Notes|
|Fire six shots (each) from 10 different .38 caliber revolvers||S&W Model 64 revolvers (10)||17.12||September 25, 2003||Broke Ed McGivern's record of 25 seconds.|
|Fire six shots, reload, fire six shots from 1 revolver||S&W Model 625 revolver||2.99||September 11, 1999|
|Fire eight shots from a revolver on a single target||S&W Model 627 V-Comp revolver||1.00||September 11, 1999|
|Fire eight shots from a revolver on four targets (2 hits each target)||S&W Model 627 V-Comp revolver||1.06||September 11, 1999|
|Fire six shots from a 50 BMG rifle||Barrett M107 rifle with no work done||0.98||August 31, 2013|
|Fire 5 shots from a .50 AE pistol||Desert Eagle pistol with no work done||0.82||December 31, 2013|
|Fire 5 shots from a 500 magnum revolver||Smith & Wesson Model 500 revolver with no work done||1.14||December 24, 2013|
|Dual wield 2 .223 pistols 19 shots on 5 different targets 'V-Drill'||AR-15 pistol with no work done||3.10||July 14, 2014|
|Fire 16 shots on 1 target with reload from a 9mm revolver||Smith & Wesson 929 revolver with action job||4.01||April 24, 2014|
|Fire 6 shots from a revolver||Chiappa Rhino 50DS revolver with no work done||1.03||May 26, 2013|
|23 shots on 1 target with 12 gauge shotgun||Mossberg 930 shotgun||3.73||May 13, 2013|
|fire 1 shot at 200 yards holding .357 magnum revolver upside down with little finger hitting 1 target||Smith & Wesson 340PD revolver||no time||October 30, 2013|
|fast shooting 1 grape from low ready at 15 yards with a .223 rifle||AR-15 rifle Smith & Wesson M&P-15 compensated||0.53||May 26, 2014|
|Fire 2 shots at 2 separate targets 20 yards away from each other with a pump shotgun||Mossberg 500 shotgun chamber empty from 20 yards away||0.78 total time (including reaction)||September 23, 2014|
|Fire 40 rounds from a .223 rifle||IWI Tavor rifle semi-automatic with no work done||6.48||June 27, 2013|
|fire 9 shots on 5 different targets with a .50 BMG rifle 'V-Drill'||Barrett M107 rifle with no work done||2.95||September 5, 2013|
|fire 1 shot at 1000 yards, double-action, with a 9mm revolver||Smith & Wesson 929 revolver action job||no time||August 4, 2014|
|fire 1 shot at 1000 yards with a 50 BMG rifle starting at low ready||Barrett M107 rifle||2.10||November 16, 2014|
|fire 2 shots at 2 targets from 400 meters with a 9mm revolver; upside down, double-action, with the little finger||Smith & Wesson 929 revolver||no time||March 9, 2015|
|Fire 10 shots at 3 different targets, 4 center mass and 2 headshots (center target), 2 in right and left target, headshot, 'Share The Love'||Smith & Wesson M&P 15T rifle with JM-Pro Trigger||1.59 (including reaction)||January 17, 2017||Beat his own record of 1.76 seconds|
Miculek also demonstrated the ability to fire five shots from a revolver on target with a S&W Model 64 ported barrel revolver in 0.57 seconds on September 25, 2003. This is slower than the record held by Ed McGivern of 0.45 sec (first shot on 9/13/1932, reproduced 4 times on 12/8/1932). Originally recorded as "two-fifths of a second", the resolution of the timing equipment in 1932 was only 0.20 of a second, so the actual figure could have been anywhere between 0.40 and 0.45 seconds.
- "www.jerrymiculek.com". Archived from the original on 2012-02-24.
- Jerry Miculek – Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
- 2002 IPSC Worldshoot XIII results
- IPSC.org – 2005 World Shoot XIV results
- IPSC :: History of Champions 2011 World Shoot
- Miculek.com – Instructor World Records
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2013-09-15), Fastest shooter EVER, Jerry Miculek- World record 8 shots in 1 second & 12 shot reload! HD, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2014-01-06), NEW BARRETT .50 CAL WORLD RECORD- 6 SHOTS in UNDER 1 SECOND on HIGH SPEED! Jerry Miculek HD, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2013-12-31), DESERT EAGLE 50 CAL WORLD RECORD- 5 SHOTS IN 0.8 SECONDS in HIGH SPEED! (Jerry Miculek), retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2013-12-24), S&W .500 MAGNUM RECORD 5 shots in 1 SECOND in high speed with Jerry Miculek, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2014-07-14), DUAL WIELD AR-15 V-Drill in 3 seconds in Slow Mo! | Sig Sauer M400 (Jerry Miculek), retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2014-04-24), REVOLVER SPEED RELOAD! 16 rounds in 4 seconds on slow mo! S&W 929 Jerry Miculek, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2013-05-26), 6 shots in 1 second with a Chiappa Rhino Revolver, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2013-05-13), 23 rounds in 3.73 seconds with a Mossberg 930 shotgun, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2013-10-30), IMPOSSIBLE 200 yard snub nose revolver shot- upside down, one handed, with pinky finger, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2014-05-26), Quick scope a grape in half a second with an AR15! (Jerry Miculek), retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2014-09-23), Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun- fast shooting and review with Jerry Miculek, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2013-06-27), IWI TAVOR - 40 rounds in 6 seconds with Jerry Miculek, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2013-09-05), BARRETT 50 CAL IMPOSSIBLE "V-DRILL" with FASTEST shooter, Jerry Miculek! M107 M82, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2014-08-04), WORLD RECORD 1000 yard shot with a 9mm Hand Gun! | S&W 929 by Jerry Miculek, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2014-11-16), 1000 yd Standing Barrett 50 cal quick scope shot in 2 seconds record by Jerry Miculek!, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2015-03-09), RECORD 400 METER UPSIDE DOWN DUAL BALLOON SHOT WITH A 9mm PISTOL! (4K), retrieved 2017-09-07
- "Jerry Miculek's New World Record: 10 shots on 3 Targets in 1.59 Seconds". Locked Back. 2017-01-17. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Watching Jerry Miculek Set A World Record From The Best Seat In The House". www.americas1stfreedom.org. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- Julie Golob (2017-01-25), Jerry Miculek SHOT Show World Record with M&P15 & Rifle Speed Shooting | JulieG.TV, retrieved 2017-09-07
- Miculek.com- The Leaders in Gun Control! (2015-04-09), Speed Shooting the AR-15 "Share the Love" Drill + Meet Jerry Miculek at the Nashville NRA show! (4K), retrieved 2017-09-07
- Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting, Ed McGivern, 1938[full citation needed]
- Petty, Charles E. (2004). "How fast is fast? Gentleman Jerry Miculek tackles McGivern's record". American Handgunner. July–August.
- Ayoob, Massad (2002). "The "Miculek special": wants you have a .45 ACP revolver, you'll wonder how you got along without one. Here's the newest option – S&W Performance Center 625". Guns Magazine. September.