Jerry Ortiz y Pino
Jerry Ortiz y Pino
|Member of the New Mexico Senate|
from the 12th district
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Richard M. Romero|
|Born||August 27, 1942|
Santa Fe, New Mexico
|Residence||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
|Education||University of New Mexico (BA)|
Tulane University (MSW)
Gerald P. "Jerry" Ortiz y Pino is an American politician and social worker serving as a member of the New Mexico Senate, where he has represented the 12th district since 2005.
Early life and education
Ortiz y Pino was born and raised in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He is one of five siblings. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Latin American studies from the University of New Mexico, followed by a Master of Social Work from Tulane University.
Ortiz y Pino succeeded Richard M. Romero, a fellow Democrat who ran unsuccessfully for Congress and Mayor of Albuquerque in 2009. Ortiz y Pino has run for re-election unopposed in 2008, 2012, 2016. He also wrote a recurring column which appeared in the Weekly Alibi, an alternative publication in the Albuquerque.
Ortiz y Pino has advocated for the legalization of cannabis in New Mexico. Ortiz y Pino is a supporter of Bernie Sanders, and endorsed the senator during the 2016 and 2020 Democratic Party primaries.
- Scott, Damon; News, The Taos. "Family, friends remember Ortiz y Pino". The Taos News. Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- "Jerry Ortiz y Pino". Ballotpedia. Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- Pino, Jerry Ortiz y. "The Specter of Santa Feication". alibi. Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- email@example.com, Robert Nott. "Senate Judiciary Committee tables cannabis bill". Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- Michael Gerstein. "N.M. superdelegates could help turn tide for Biden or Sanders at convention". Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- "New Mexico State Senator Jerry Ortiz y Pino Endorses Bernie Sanders". OpEdNews. Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- "New Mexico Senator Jerry Ortiz y Pino, Chairman Public Affairs Committee, First NM Legislator to Endorse Bernie Sanders". OpEdNews. Retrieved 2020-03-25.