Jerry Smith (basketball)
|No. 6 – Samsunspor|
|League||Turkish Basketball First League|
September 26, 1987 |
|Listed height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Listed weight||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school||Wauwatosa East
|NBA draft||2010 / Undrafted|
|2012||New Jersey Nets|
|2014–2015||Maccabi Rishon LeZion|
|Career highlights and awards|
Jerry Smith played for Wauwatosa East High School where he holds the school's career scoring record. When Smith was in eighth grade, coach Tom Crean of Marquette offered him a scholarship, but Smith eventually signed with the Louisville instead.
He is an alumnus of the University of Louisville men's basketball team. In his debut as a Cardinal, Smith broke the record for most points scored by a freshman in his first game. On February 17, 2007, Smith hit a deep, buzzer-beating 3-pointer that gave the Louisville Cardinals a 61-59 upset victory over Marquette University.
On February 17, 2007 Smith hit a game winning 35 footer at the buzzer. After the February 17 game, Crean gave credit to Jerry, saying that he "made a tough shot." Smith said he was speechless and that "I never dreamed about this."
Prior to college, Smith played AAU basketball for DTA of Milwaukee and the Playground Warriors. He helped the first of the two to a 2nd-place finish in the national tournament.
Smith started playing for the Milwaukee Bucks NBA Summer League team in Las Vegas. Later he played for Springfield Armor in the NBA Development League. In March 2011 he signed with Waikato Pistons in New Zealand.
Smith was called up by the New Jersey Nets from the Springfield Armor on March 16, 2012. He made his NBA debut with 5 points in 20 minutes against Orlando. He returned to the Armor on March 26, 2012.
In August 2014, he signed with Maccabi Rishon LeZion of Israel. On February 8, 2015, he left Maccabi and signed with Eisbären Bremerhaven of the German Basketball Bundesliga. On June 7, 2015, he re-signed with Eisbären Bremerhaven for one more season.
- "Player Bio: Jerry Smith". Louisville Men's Basketball. CSTV.com. Retrieved 2007-02-21.
- Jerry Smith signs with New Zealand team
- NETS Sign Jerry Smith to 10-Day Contract
- Armor Re-Acquire Jerry Smith, Waive Eugene Spates
- Cantu looks to future with rookie playmaker Smith
- "Tezenis Verona tabs Jerry Smith". Eurobasket.com. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Jerry Smith signs with Maccabi Rishon LeZion
- Eisbaren-Bremerhaven land Jerry Smith
- Jerry Smith signs a contract extension with Eisbaren-Bremerhaven