Jerry White (socialist)
|Known for||Socialist Politics|
|Part of a series on|
the United States
|Parties and organizations|
Jerome "Jerry" White (born 1959) is an American politician and journalist, reporting for the World Socialist Web Site. He is a member of the Socialist Equality Party of the United States. On February 13, the WSWS announced that White would be the SEP candidate for president in 2012 with running mate Phyllis Scherrer.
As a reporter for the World Socialist Web Site, White has written extensively on the US auto industry, and has interviewed autoworkers in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois. White authored a book, published in 1990, entitled Death on the Picket Line: The Story of John McCoy. The book, an investigative report, treats the killing of a militant coal miner, McCoy, as well as the history of the United Mine Workers (UMW) in West Virginia.
As a candidate for the Socialist Equality Party, White ran for Michigan's 112th Congressional seat in 2006, and for president in 2008 with vice-presidential candidate Bill Van Auken. The write-in campaign was accompanied by a redesign of the Socialist Equality Party's website, which would rehost articles written by both candidates for the World Socialist Web Site. White had run for president as a candidate for the Socialist Equality Party with running-mate Fred Mazelis earlier in 1996.
White has been active in Detroit's Committee Against Utility Shutoffs (CAUS) and organized hearings on fires in low income neighborhoods. He has criticized the Obama Administration for what he has described as its policies favoring Wall Street at the expense of workers.
White's 2012 presidential campaign keeps five core components:
- International unity in the working class
- Social equality
- Opposition to imperialist militarism and assault on democratic rights
- Opposition to the political subordination of the working class to the Democrats and Republicans
- Rejection of the requirement for austerity: the idea that there is "no money"
White's campaign is based on the crisis that arose from the 2008 financial crash. Using historical and current trends, the call is for equal access to housing, retirement, food, and education. Among others is the call to defend workers rights that were gained with socialist struggle in the 1880s and the 1930s.
The White-Scherrer ticket is on the ballot in Wisconsin, Louisiana, and has write-in status for Michigan. White has visited Canada, Germany, England and Sri Lanka to campaign for socialism and an international working class movement.
- Socialist Equality Party announces US election campaign, World Socialist Web Site, 13 February 2012.
- Contract workers denounce low wages in US auto industry, World Socialist Web Site, 14 December 2011.
- UAW expands drive to cut auto workers’ pay, World Socialist Web Site, 7 October 2010.
- "In the mid-1980s my parents said the UAW was not for us:" Interview with Ohio auto parts worker, World Socialist Web Site, 7 December 2010.
- Indianapolis GM workers defy UAW, vote down wage cut, World Socialist Web Site, 24 September 2010.
- Retired GM worker speaks on freezing death of 93-year-old Michigan man: "They want profits or you die", World Socialist Web Site, 5 February 2009.
- Strong opposition at final Chrysler plant voting on UAW contract, World Socialist Web Site, 27 October 2007.
- White, Jerry, Death on the Picket Line: The Story of John McCoy, Labor Publications, Detroit: 1990.
- Library of Congress Archives
- Socialist Equality Party to contest state elections in Illinois, Maine, Oregon and WA, Portland Independent Media Center, 14 May 2006.
- Jerry White Speaks at University of Illinois-Chicago, World Socialist Web Site, 3 November 2008.
- McKinney and White on the Economic Crisis, Tribe, 19 September 2008.
- Socialist Equality Party Takes Steps to Receive Votes for President, Ballot Access News, 29 October 2008.
- Socialist Equality Party revamps website, Independent Political Report, 18 September 2008.
- Socialist presidential candidate visits campus, Michigan Daily, 24 September 2008.
- U.S. Presidential Elections: Leftist Votes, Marxists.org.
- Socialist Equality candidates fight police, school board over free speech, Michigan Daily, 6 September 1996.
- Committee Against Utility Shutoffs CAUS, 23 March 2010.
- Obama's New Tune Rings Old Bells, RT, 25 January 2012.