Jersey City and Harsimus Cemetery
|Location||435 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, New Jersey
|Size||6 acres (24,000 m2)|
Jersey City and Harsimus Cemetery is a historic cemetery located in Jersey City, New Jersey. It was established in 1829 by the first cemetery company founded in the State of New Jersey and is the size of 6 acres (24,000 m2). The cemetery is an early example of Garden Style landscape cemeteries. The cemetery fell into disrepair and was abandoned in 2008. A volunteer group has since been founded to maintain the cemetery.
In order to raise funds for the upkeep of the grounds and caretaker facilities, the all-volunteer organization has partnered with local groups to produce year round events. Events include:
- The Ghost of Uncle Joe - A music and theatrical event that occurs in October
- Shakespeare in the Park by the Hudson Shakespeare Company. The main Shakespeare company of Hudson County has the cemetery as one of its tour stops on its regular summer tours.
- Halloween tours
- Constitution Day - A yearly event that takes place at the end of September celebrating the different eras of veterans buried in the cemetery. Eras date from the Revolutionary War to World War II.
- Karnoutsos, Carmela. "Historic Jersey City Harsimus Cemetery". Jersey City Past and Present. New Jersey City University.
- "Cemetery History". The Historic Jersey City & Harsimus Cemetery. Retrieved July 2, 2010.
- Charles Ferson Durant at Find a Grave