Jersey Mike's Subs
|Jersey Mike's Subs|
|Founded||1956Point Pleasant, New Jerseyin|
|Headquarters||Manasquan, New Jersey, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Revenue||US$974.1 million (2021)|
Number of employees
A Sub Above, LLC., doing business as Jersey Mike's Subs, is an American submarine sandwich chain headquartered in Manasquan, New Jersey. The Jersey Mike's franchise has about 2000 locations.  Outside of the United States, there are two locations in Ontario, Canada; (London and Kitchener) and one location in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico.
In 1968 at age 14, Peter Cancro of Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey, took a part-time job at Mike's Submarines, a neighborhood sandwich shop in the adjacent borough of Point Pleasant, at 1009 Trenton Avenue. The eatery, founded in 1956, was only a few blocks west of Point Pleasant Beach High School, and then on its third owner. When the shop went up for sale again in 1971, Cancro's mother suggested he buy it. With help from a high school football coach who was also a banker, Cancro, then 17 and a high school senior, pulled together $125,000 in three days. Today, Cancro is the owner and CEO of the company.
Cancro began franchising the restaurant in 1987. By 2014, it had 750 locations, with an additional 650 in some stage of development. In 2015, 197 new locations opened and the total number of Jersey Mike's locations exceeded 1,000. Jersey Mike's locations are gaining a larger presence on the West Coast, particularly Southern California. The original Jersey Mike's location on Trenton Avenue is still used as a training center for the company.
Like the original Mike's store in 1956, each Jersey Mike's Subs serves submarine sandwiches made to order, slicing the meats and cheeses as needed. A popular way to top off the sandwich with condiments is to order it "Mike's Way", which involves sliced onions, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, oregano, salt (spices) and "The Juice"—a mixture of red wine vinegar and olive oil. There is also a signature cherry pepper relish.
Some Jersey Mike's locations also serve various breakfast sandwiches during the morning hours, including sandwiches made with pork roll, a New Jersey product.
- "Peter Cancro, Jersey Mike's Franchise Systems Inc: Profile and Biography". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2022-11-26.
- "Jersey Mike's Subs location count". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- Schools, Dave (2018-03-15). "How Jersey Mike's CEO Turned $125,000 Into $1 Billion". Inc. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "The Boss: Lessons From the Sub Shop". The New York Times. 2010-06-05. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- Kulikowski, Laurie (2014-02-25). "Jersey Mike's Subs Is Revving Up for Franchise Expansion". TheStreet. jerseymikes.com. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "Jersey Mike's Finishes 2015 with Strong Unit Growth". QSR magazine. 2016-01-26. Retrieved 2022-01-26.