Jersey Mike's Subs
|Founded||1956Point Pleasant, New Jerseyin|
|Headquarters||Manasquan, New Jersey, U.S.|
Number of locations
other food products
|Parent||Jersey Mike's Franchise Systems Inc.|
Jersey Mike's Subs is an American submarine sandwich chain headquartered in Manasquan, New Jersey. The Jersey Mike's franchise has 1,910 locations open and about 124 more in development across the United States, in addition to three locations in Queensland, Australia, and two in Ontario, Canada.
At age 14, Peter Cancro of Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey, took a part-time job at Mike's Submarines, a neighborhood sandwich shop in the adjacent borough of Point Pleasant but only a few blocks west of Point Pleasant Beach High School, founded in 1956, and then on its third owner. When the shop went up for sale again in 1975, Cancro's mother suggested he buy it. With help from a high school football coach who was also a banker, Cancro, then 17 and a high school senior, pulled together $125,000 in three days. Today, Cancro is the owner and CEO of the company.
Cancro began franchising the restaurant in 1987. By 2014, it had 750 locations, with an additional 650 in some stage of development. In 2015, 197 new locations opened and the total number of Jersey Mike's locations exceeded 1,000. Jersey Mike's locations are gaining a larger presence on the west coast, particularly Southern California.
Like the original Mike's store in 1956, each Jersey Mike's Subs serves submarine sandwiches made to order, slicing the meats and cheeses as needed. A popular way to top off the sandwich with condiments is to order it "Mike's Way", which involves sliced onions, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, oregano, salt (spices) and "The Juice"—a mixture of red wine vinegar and olive oil. There is also a signature cherry pepper relish.
Some Jersey Mike's locations also serve various breakfast sandwiches during the morning hours, including sandwiches made with Taylor Pork Roll, a New Jersey product.
Prospective store managers are sent to the location of the original store in Point Pleasant for part of a six-to-eight-week training course.
- "Jersey Mike's Subs location count". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Cavanaugh, Bonnie Brewer (2000-02-14). "Jersey Mike's chases national dream, taps founder's 'share-your-life' motto". Nation's Restaurant News. Vol. 34 no. 7. p. 24. Retrieved 2017-06-04.[dead link]
- Kulikowski, Laurie (2014-02-25). "Jersey Mike's Subs Is Revving Up for Franchise Expansion". TheStreet. jerseymikes.com. Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "Jersey Mike's Finishes 2015 with Strong Unit Growth". QSR magazine. 2016-01-26. Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- The Boss: Lessons From the Sub Shop, The New York Times interview with Cancro (June 5, 2010)