Jerwood Painting Prize
The Jerwood Painting Prize was a prize for originality and excellence in painting in the United Kingdom, awarded and funded by the Jerwood Foundation. It was open to all artists born or resident in the UK, regardless of age or reputation. Winners of the prize include Craigie Aitchison, Patrick Caulfield, Prunella Clough and Maggi Hambling. The prize was instituted in 1994, and at £30,000 was the largest of its kind in Britain. The prize is no longer awarded.
The winners of the prize were:
- 1994: Craigie Aitchison
- 1995: Maggi Hambling and Patrick Caulfield
- 1996: John Hubbard
- 1997: Gary Hume
- 1998: Madeleine Strindberg
- 1999: Prunella Clough
- 2000: no award
- 2001: Katie Pratt
- 2002: Callum Innes
- 2003: Shani Rhys James
- Jerwood Painting Prize 2001. Jerwood Space. Accessed September 2013.
- Jerwood Collection. Jerwood Gallery. Accessed August 2013.
- Jerwood Painting Prize 2003. Jerwood Space. Accessed September 2013.
- Martin Gayford (22 September 1999). The painting prize that got it right. The Telegraph. Accessed August 2013.
- What's On: Craigie Aitchison 20.07.2013–08.09.2013. Jerwood Gallery. Accessed September 2013.
- Maggi Hambling (b. 1945) Frances Rose (2), 1973. Jerwood Foundation. Accessed September 2013.
- [s.n.] (14 Sep 1996). What is the Jerwood for?. The Telegraph. Accessed September 2013.
- Annabel Tilley (2012). Gary Hume. The Artists Information Company. Accessed September 2013.
- Jerwood Painting Prize 1998 Archived 8 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Jerwood Space. Accessed September 2013.
- Laura Gascoigne (31 May 2003). Figuration fights back: Among privately sponsored painting prizes figurative art is dominant. The Spectator. Accessed September 2013.
- Moira Jeffrey (5 June 2002). Visual Art: Jerwood Painting Prize, Jerwood Space, London. The Herald. Accessed September 2013.
- Angelique Chrisafis (23 May 2002). Jerwood win by abstract painter. The Guardian. Accessed January 2014.