Jerzy Wojciech Łukaszewski (born 21 July 1924 in Terebierzów, in Poland at that time, in Belarus today) is a Polish-born academic and former diplomat. He taught at the College of Europe in Bruges from 1961 to 1990 and served as its rector from 1972 to 1990. From 1990 to 1996, he was Polish ambassador to France.
Life and career
Łukaszewski studied at the University of Poznań where he obtained a doctorate in law and a Master in economical and political sciences. His subsequent academic, administrative and diplomatic career included:
- 1951-1957, assistant and lecturer at the Catholic University of Lublin.
- 1957-1959, studies and research at Harvard University (with a Ford Foundation scholarship).
- 1959-1961, international civil servant at the International Labour Organization in Genève. The Polish government objected to his appointment, because he was not nominated officially by Poland. He was forced to resign and decided not to return to Poland. He was accepted in Belgium as a political refugee and obtained the Belgian naturalization.
- 1961-1963, researcher at the College of Europe in Bruges.
- 1963-1972, lecturer in political sciences at the College of Europe.
- 1967-1985, professor at the Law Faculty of Namur.
- 1972-1990, rector of the College of Europe, succeeding to Hendrik Brugmans. He was active in enlarging the College and accepting a growing number of students (59 in 1972 - 200 in 1990).
- 1990-1996, ambassador of Poland in Paris.
- 1998-2002, member of the Committee advizing the Polish Government on the integration in Europe.
- Since 2005, member of the GPA (Group of Political Analysis), advizing the President of the European Union.
Łukaszewski has published more than 200 articles, in different languages, mostly dealing with European matters.
- Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Grand officer of the Order of Leopold II
- Grand officer Ordre national du mérite
- Commander of the Order of Leopold
- Commander of the Légion d'Honneur
- Commander of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic.
- Commander of the Order of Polonia Restituta.
- Doctor honoris causa of the University of Aix-en-Provence-Marseille
|Rectors of the College of Europe