|Died||7 February 2022 (aged 82)|
He studied Polish philology, and in 1971, he earned his PhD, focusing his research on the language of folklore. As a young scholar at UMCS Lublin University together with his wife and children he established one of the first groups of home church Catholic Renewal movement in Poland. In the 1980s, he took part in anti-communist activities as a member of Solidarity and was a University leader of this movement in Lublin. He was repressed after declaration of the Martial law in Poland in 1981. Later, Bartmiński was one of the founders of "Solidarity of Families" movement and foundation, focusing on reactivation of social bonds in post-communist society, support for poor families, and educational support for children.
Bartmiński was member of the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences, and professor of Polish philology at the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, Poland. From 1976 he led the research team that has been reorganized as the Department of Textology And Grammar of Contemporary Polish Language. For several years Bartmiński had been the chairman of jury of folklore songs festival in Kazimierz Dolny, one of the biggest events of this kind in Central Europe. Bartmiński was a member of the Polish Language Council.
He authored over 300 publications and books. One of his last books (2007), Linguistic Bases of the Perception of the World (Jezykowe podstawy obrazu swiata), is considered to be among the most significant Polish publications in the disciplines of the humanities.
- "Prof. dr hab. Jerzy Bartminski". Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Sklodowskiej w Lublinie. Archived from the original on 12 October 2007. Retrieved 26 May 2008.
- "History of the Home Church movement in Poland". Archived from the original on 16 April 2008. Retrieved 26 May 2008.
- "Jerzy Bartminski". Encyklopedia Solidarnosci. Archived from the original on 26 September 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2008.
- Deptula, Ewa (2006). "Solidarność Rodzin". Warto było. Lublin, Poland: Agencja Wydawnicza Werset. p. 249. 83-60133-28-X.
- Nie żyje profesor Jerzy Bartmiński (in Polish)
- "Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences - Members of Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences". Archived from the original on 14 October 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Prof.dr hab.Jerzy Bartminski". Nauka Polska. Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2008.
- "Zaklad Tekstologii i Gramatyki Wspolczesnego Jezyka Polskiego". Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Sklodowskiej w Lublinie. Archived from the original on 12 June 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2008.
- "Informacje o Radzie". Rada Jezyka Polskiego. Retrieved 26 May 2008.
- "Linguistic bases of the perception of the world; Jerzy Bartminski". www.ksiazki.tv. Retrieved 26 May 2008.