Jesper Juul (family therapist)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||18 April 1948|
|Died||25 July 2019 (aged 71)|
|Alma mater||University of Aarhus|
|Occupation||Family therapist, Author|
Jesper Juul (18 April 1948 – 25 July 2019) was a Danish family therapist and author of several books on parenting to a general audience. In his book Your Competent Child (1995, in English 2001) he argues that today's families are at an exciting crossroads because the destructive values — obedience, physical and emotional violence, and conformity — that governed traditional hierarchical families are being transformed. The book has been translated into 13 languages and has popularized current ideas of non-authoritarian parenting.
Jesper Juul was born in Vordingborg, Denmark. He had several jobs before entering higher education at Marselisborg Seminarium where he graduated as a teacher of history and religion in 1970. He then enrolled in studies of the history of ideas at the University of Aarhus. He financed his studies working at the resort Bøgholt in Viby J, and dropped out of studies to work full-time with social treatment. At an internal course he became acquainted with U.S. psychiatrist Walter Kempler and they became friends, finally leading to him forming the Kempler Institute of Scandinavia in 1979 with Kempler as a director. A few years later Juul had to take over leadership of the institute and would hold this position until 2004. He has no peer-reviewed scientific articles listed in the American psychological database PsycINFO, however his books have been cited numerous times in academic publications.
Juul's first marriage, which lasted from 1971 to 1990, produced one child. His second marriage ended in divorce in 2014.
Bibliography (published in English)
- Juul, Jesper (2001). Your Competent Child - Towards New Basic Values for the Family. Farrar, Straus & Giroux, N.Y. ISBN 0-374-52790-3.
- Juul, Jesper. NO! - The art of saying NO! With a clear conscience.
- Juul, Jesper. Here I am! Who are you? - Resolving conflicts between adults and children.
- Juul, Jesper. Family Life - The most important values for living together and raising children.
- Juul, Jesper; Øien, Monica. Family Time.
- "Jesper Juul: Bekannter Familientherapeut ist tot - SPIEGEL ONLINE". m.spiegel.de. Retrieved Jul 26, 2019.
- "Biografi". Jesper Juul. Archived from the original on 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- "PsycINFO". American Psychological Association. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Google Scholar on Jesper Juul". Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- "Jesper Juul, Danish Familylab therapist, author dies aged 71 | DW | 26.07.2019". DW.COM. Retrieved 2019-07-26.