Biddle with the Atlanta Braves in 2018
|Texas Rangers – No. 44|
|Born: October 22, 1991|
|April 21, 2018, for the Atlanta Braves|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||4.71|
Jesse Thomas Biddle (born October 22, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He was selected in the first round of the 2010 MLB draft by the Philadelphia Phillies. Biddle has previously played in MLB for Atlanta Braves and Seattle Mariners.
Biddle grew up in the Mount Airy neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and he attended Germantown Friends School, a Quaker School in the neighboring Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia. He competed in the Friends School League. As a junior, Biddle had a 5–0 win–loss record with a 0.64 earned run average (ERA) and 61 strikeouts in 33 innings pitched; in his senior year, he was 9–2 with a 1.04 ERA, striking out 140 batters in 59 1⁄3 innings.
The Philadelphia Phillies selected Biddle in the first round, with the 27th overall pick, of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft. Although he had committed to attend the University of Oregon, he agreed to a contract with the Phillies on June 10, with a signing bonus of $1.16 million.
In his first season, he amassed a 3–1 win–loss record, 4.32 ERA, 41 strikeouts, and 9 walks in 33 1⁄3 innings pitched for the Gulf Coast League Phillies. He also pitched in three games for the Williamsport Crosscutters that year. In 2011, Biddle pitched for the Lakewood BlueClaws where he was 7–8 with a 2.98 ERA in 25 games (24 starts). That same year, Baseball America named Biddle the #2 prospect in the Phillies organization, and in 2012 Baseball America named Biddle the #1 prospect in the Phillies organization. He spent 2012 with the Clearwater Threshers where he posted a 10–6 record and 3.22 ERA in 26 starts.
On April 22, 2013, with the Reading Fightin' Phils, Biddle posted 16 strikeouts in a game in Harrisburg against the Senators, breaking the previous record of 13 for his team. He spent the whole season with Reading, going 5–14 with a 3.64 ERA in 27 starts. He began 2014 with Clearwater, and after two games where he was 2–0 with a 0.90 ERA, he was promoted back to Reading and he finished the season there, compiling a 3–10 record and 5.03 ERA in 16 games started.
Biddle began 2015 with Reading and on July 7, 2015, he was promoted to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. The next day, he made his Lehigh Valley debut, giving up seven earned runs on five hits and six walks in 2 1⁄3 innings pitched. In 24 starts between the two teams, he was 9–6 with a 4.95 ERA and 1.66 WHIP. Following the 2015 season, Biddle underwent Tommy John surgery.
On February 3, 2016, the Phillies traded Biddle to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Yoervis Medina. The Pirates designated him for assignment on March 11. Biddle was claimed off waivers by the Atlanta Braves on March 19. He did not pitch at all in 2016 due to his Tommy John surgery. He returned in 2017 and pitched for the Mississippi Braves, compiling a 2–4 record and 2.90 ERA in 49.2 relief innings pitched. He began 2018 with the Gwinnett Stripers.
The Braves promoted Biddle to the major leagues on April 18, 2018. He debuted in relief on April 21, throwing one inning against the New York Mets, and earning the win. Biddle recorded his first major league hit, a RBI double, against the Phillies on April 29, 2018 along with pitching two scoreless innings. On May 15, 2019, he was designated for assignment after posting an ERA of 5.40 in 11 2⁄3 innings.
On June 28, 2019, Biddle was claimed off waivers by the Texas Rangers and formally placed on the roster on July 1, 2019. Biddle was placed in the injured list on July 16 due to elbow inflammation, which ended his season.
Biddle's main pitch is his four-seam fastball, which he can throw up to 94 miles per hour (151 km/h), and throws comfortably in the 90–93 mph range. He has a changeup and a slider, both of which he throws in the low 80s, a 12-to-6 curveball in the low-to-mid 70s, and a two-seam fastball in the mid-to-high 80s.
- Turkos, Joseph (June 16, 2010). "Biddle makes history with hometown Phillies". Roxborough Review. Montgomery Media. Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- Purks, Scott (June 26, 2010). "Nobody hits Phillies prospect Biddle in his Gulf Coast League debut". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- Ocker, Kenny (June 21, 2010). "Four Ducks, 10 recruits taken in MLB Draft". Oregon Daily Emerald. Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- Murphy, David (June 11, 2010). "Phillies Notebook: Biddle comes to terms with Phillies, to join rookie squad". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- Drellich, Evan (February 3, 2011). "First-rounder Biddle preps for first full pro year". Phillies.MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 4, 2011.
- Berkery, Joe (May 24, 2011). "Pitching prospect Biddle setting the right pace at Lakewood". Philly.com. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- Raanan, Jordan (December 17, 2012). "Phillies Links: Pitcher Jesse Biddle is Philadelphia's No. 1 prospect according to Baseball America". NJ.com. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- Gelb, Matt (April 23, 2013). "Jesse Biddle's big night". philly.com. The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "Jesse Biddle struggles in short Triple-A debut with IronPigs". lehighvalleylive.com. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- "Jesse Biddle needs Tommy John surgery". philly-archives. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- "Phillies trade Jesse Biddle to Pirates". Philly.com. February 3, 2016. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- Nesbitt, Stephen J. (March 11, 2016). "Pirates sign former World Series MVP David Freese". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (March 19, 2016). "Braves claim former top prospect Biddle". MLB.com. Retrieved March 20, 2016.
- "Jesse Biddle Stats, Highlights, Bio – MiLB.com Stats – The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- Bowman, Mark (April 18, 2018). "Biddle called up by Braves; Ramirez hits DL". MLB.com. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Sachs, Aimee (April 21, 2018). "Inciarte's walk-off bunt caps Braves' late rally". MLB.com. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- "Acuna, fellow Braves youngsters romp over Phillies 10-1". ESPN.com. April 29, 2018. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Bowman, Mark (May 15, 2019). "Braves call up prospect Riley, in LF vs. Cards". MLB.com. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- Stecker, Brent (May 20, 2019). "Mariners trade Anthony Swarzak to Braves for relievers Jesse Biddle, Arodys Vizcaino". MyNorthwest.com. KIRO (AM).
- Smith, Lauren (June 24, 2019). "Mariners make more bullpen swaps; Bradford transferred to 60-day IL". The News Tribune. Retrieved September 7, 2019.
- Johns, Greg (June 23, 2019). "Seattle calls up Carasiti, Wright to bolster 'pen". MLB.com. Retrieved September 7, 2019.
- Evan Grant (June 28, 2019). "Rangers add Seattle LHP Jesse Biddle on waiver claim, send Jeffrey Springs to 60-day injured list". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved September 7, 2019.
- "Rangers RHP Shelby Miller designated for assignment". USA Today. Associated Press. July 1, 2019. Retrieved September 7, 2019.
- RotoWire Staff (September 16, 2019). "Rangers' Jesse Biddle: Lands on IL". CBS Sports. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Levine-Flandrup, Kevin (June 7, 2010). "Q&A: Phils First Rounder Jesse Biddle". Scout.com. The Cardinal Nation. Retrieved July 12, 2010.
- Moselle, Aaron (June 17, 2010). "Phillies 1st pick, Biddle, 'couldn't ask for anything better'". The Chestnut Hill Local. Archived from the original on June 26, 2010. Retrieved July 12, 2010.