Jesse Sheppard Cohn is an academic and author of the work Anarchism and the Crisis of Representation. Cohn earned his bachelor's degree in English literature from Earlham College in 1994 before going on to earn an M.A. and PhD from Binghamton University in 1996 and 1999 respectively. After six years on the faculty of Purdue University North Central, he was promoted to associate professor of English in 2006. Cohn's Science Fiction and Fantasy class was the impetus for the establishment of the "Simulated Selves, Virtual Worlds" film festival.
His work Anarchism and the Crisis of Representation: Hermeneutics, Aesthetics, Politics is a challenge to conventional interpretations of anarchism which investigates the notion of "representation", questioning the legitimacy of some individuals speaking for others. Cohn is a noted critic of postanarchism, as the author of the influential article "What is 'Postanarchism' Post?", a critical review of Saul Newman's From Bakunin to Lacan, as well as the co-author with Shawn P. Wilbur of "What’s Wrong With Postanarchism?" (Theory and Culture). Besides Wilbur, Cohn has collaborated with scholars of anarchism such as Todd May, Lewis Call and Robert Graham, and has been published in journals including Anarchist Studies, Fifth Estate, Radical Philosophy and Postmodern Culture. In 2015, Cohn released the comprehensive study on anarchical revolutions entitled, "Underground Passages: Anarchist Resistance Culture, 1848–2011." from AK Press.
- "The End of Communication? The End of Representation?" Fifth Estate 376 (October 2007): 40-42.
- "Breaking the Frame: Anarchist Comics and Visual Culture." Belphégor: Littérature Populaire et Culture Médiatique 6.2 (June 2007).
- "What Is Anarchist Literary Theory?" Anarchist Studies 15.2 (2007): 115-131.
- Review of Robert M. Philmus, Visions and Re-Visions: (Re)constructing Science Fiction. Utopian Studies 18.1 (2007): 105-10.
- "Imaginary Anarchisms." Review of Benedict Anderson, Under Three Flags: Anarchism and the Anti-Colonial Imagination. Radical Philosophy 143 (May/June 2007): 59-60.
- "Anarchism and Essentialism." Anarchism: A Documentary History, Vol. 2: The Anarchist Current (1939-2006). Robert Graham ed. Montréal: Black Rose Books, 2007.
- Anarchism and the Crisis of Representation: Hermeneutics, Aesthetics, Politics. Selinsgrove, PA: Susquehanna University Press, 2006.
- "Essentialism." Women and Society Encyclopedic Dictionary. January 22, 2004.
- Review of A Brighter Morn: The Shelley Circle’s Utopian Project, ed. Darby Lewes. Utopian Studies 15.1 (2004): 131-133.
- With Shawn P. Wilbur: "What’s Wrong With Postanarchism?" Theory and Politics (August 31, 2003).
- "Anarchism, Representation, and Culture." Culture and the State, Vol. 4: Alternative Interventions. James Gifford and Gabrielle Zezulka-Mailloux eds. (Edmonton, Canada: CRC Humanities Studio, 2003): 54-63. [Republished in NeMe, January 15, 2006.]
- "What is 'Postanarchism' Post?" Review of Saul Newman, From Bakunin to Lacan: Anti-Authoritarianism and the Dislocation of Power." Postmodern Culture 13.1 (Sept. 2002).
- "Jane Smiley." Contemporary American Women Fiction Writers: An A-to-Z Guide. Rhonda Austin and Laurie Champion eds. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood, 2002. 338-343.
- "Believing in the Disease: Virologies and Memetics as Models of Power Relations in Contemporary Science Fiction." Culture Machine 3 (March 26, 2001).
- "American Nihilism in American Beauty." The Ampersand (June 2001).
- "William Blake’s ‘The Mental Traveller.'" The Explicator 58.3 (Spring 2000): 130-133.
- "An Exemplary Failure: Pat Murphy’s The City, Not Long After and the dilemmas of anarchist utopian fiction." Anarchist Studies 7.2 (1999): 119-125.
- With Lewis Call, Karén Karapetyan, Todd May, Stevphen Shukaitis, and Simon Tormey: "Nietzsche ve Anarşizm Soruşturması [trans. of 'Some Remarks on Nietzsche and Anarchism']." Siyahî 2.7 (Spring 2006): 8-25.
- "PNC promotes 5 faculty members". The News-Dispatch. April 16, 2006. 11A72FF0B0AC9240.
- "'Simulated Selves' film festival starts Saturday". The News-Dispatch. September 7, 2001. 11A72FC6D006EBA8.
- Petrovato, John (April 20, 2008). "What's Happening: New Books, 2008". Z Magazine. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- Cohn, Jesse (2002). "What is Postanarchism "Post"?". Postmodern Culture 13 (1). doi:10.1353/pmc.2002.0028.
- "AK Press Publishing and Distribution". Retrieved 2015-03-19.