|Member of the California State Assembly|
from the 45th district
|Assumed office |
June 11, 2018
|Preceded by||Matt Dababneh|
Jesse Samuel Gabriel
September 25, 1981
|Residence||Encino, Los Angeles, California|
Jesse Samuel Gabriel (born September 25, 1981) is an American constitutional rights attorney and politician. A Democratic Party member, Gabriel serves in the California State Assembly, representing the 45th Assembly District, which encompasses much of the west San Fernando Valley.
Early life and career
Gabriel was born to a Jewish family and raised in Oak Park, California. In 2004, he graduated summa cum laude from the University of California, Berkeley with a bachelor’s degree in political science. At Berkeley, Gabriel served as student government president in the Associated Students of the University of California during the 2002–03 academic year. He earned his Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School and served as counsel to Evan Bayh while Bayh was a member of the United States Senate. He worked for Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, focusing on constitutional rights and general litigation. He filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration on behalf of young undocumented immigrants who were protected by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program that was rescinded in 2017.
Following Matt Dababneh's resignation from the California Assembly, effective December 31, 2017, Gabriel announced his candidacy in a special election to replace him in California's 45th State Assembly district. Gabriel won the special election on June 5, 2018, earning 64 percent of the vote. He was sworn into office on June 11. Jesse won reelection to his first full term in the November 2018 general election against Justin Clark, winning with 67.6 percent of the vote.
Gabriel's wife, Rachel Rosner, is also an attorney. They have two sons. In July 2017, they moved from Santa Monica, California, to Encino, Los Angeles. His brother, Oren, also served as student government president at Berkeley. Their parents, Stuart and Judith, attended Berkeley and met while studying abroad in Israel. Both of their grandfathers also attended Berkeley, where their maternal grandfather served as president of the university's Hillel.
- Modesti, Kevin (January 3, 2018). "Attorney Jesse Gabriel running for Dababneh's Assembly seat". Daily News. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Eskenazi, Joe (September 1, 2006). "Jewish brothers make U.C. student presidency a family tradition". Jweekly.com. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Taxin, Amy (September 19, 2017). "US immigrants sue over Trump's end of deportation protection". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Modesti, Kevin. "Democrats Luz Rivas and Jesse Gabriel elected to Assembly from San Fernando Valley". Daily News. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- "Two Democrats sworn into office to replace California assemblymen accused of sexual misconduct". Los Angeles Times. June 11, 2018. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- Chou, Elizabeth (November 7, 2018). "Election 2018: Jesse Gabriel holds onto seat in race for West San Fernando Valley's 45th District Assembly seat". Los Angeles Daily News. Retrieved December 8, 2018.