Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business
|Motto||Leading thought, shaping the world|
|Affiliations||The Washington Campus|
The Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business is the business school of Rice University in Houston, Texas. Named in honor of Jesse Holman Jones, a Houston business and civic leader, the school received its initial funding in 1974 through a major gift from the Houston Endowment Inc., a philanthropic foundation established by Jones and his wife, Mary Gibbs Jones. The schools offers the Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Accounting (MAcc), and Doctorate in Philosophy (PhD) degrees. In addition, the school offers several joint degree programs, including the MD/MBA with Baylor College of Medicine, MBA/ME with Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering, and MBA/MS with Rice’s Wiess School of Natural Sciences. The school also provides an undergraduate business minor, executive education, and certificates.
The Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship is Rice's flagship entrepreneurship initiative based on a strategic alliance among the schools of engineering, science, and business. Since its inception in late 1999, the Rice Alliance has assisted in the launch of over 1,500 start-ups which have raised more than $2.9 billion in funding. The Rice Alliance is host to the Rice Business Plan Competition, the world's largest and richest student startup competition with nearly $3 million in prizes. The Rice Alliance was ranked No. 1 among top university business incubators in 2013 and 2014.
The Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business offers a Master’s of Business Administration program. The program was ranked 23rd on the U.S. News and World Report's 2019 ranking of best graduate-level business schools.
At graduation, nearly 83% of graduates in the full-time program are employed.
Electives are offered in your second-year and a Capstone Course is required at the end of your second year.
Hybrid Online MBA program
MBA@Rice is an online degree for working professionals that started in 2018. The program also added a number of short courses including project management. The program can be completed in two years with 54 credits required. Students have small-group online sessions and have access to pre-recorded content. There is also an on-campus component with two residential sessions.
Master of Accounting Program
The Master of Accounting program is an intensive, one-year program designed to prepare students for the Uniform CPA Exam. The program targets non-accounting undergraduate majors, and conditions students for recruitment with the Big 4 accounting firms.
|Business school rankings|
|U.S. News & World Report||25|
Princeton Review's 2020 rankings placed the Jones School #1 in the U.S. for M.B.A. in entrepreneurship, #3 for finance, and #8 for best classroom experience. U.S. News & World Report ranked the Jones School full-time MBA program among top 25 U.S business schools in 2016., Bloomberg Businessweek's 2015 rankings placed the Jones School among top 10 U.S business schools in 2016 and the 3rd best part-time MBA in 2015, and The Financial Times 2014 rankings placed the school 35 in Global Business Schools and 19th amongst U.S. business schools – the highest ranked business school in Texas and the Southwest.
- Mitch Bainwol, Chairman and CEO of the Recording Industry Association of America; former Chief-of-Staff to U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist
- Douglas Foshee - '92 CEO of El Paso Corporation
- Jim Turley, former chairman and CEO of professional services firm Ernst & Young
- Linda Ham, Program Integration Manager at NASA who faced criticism for her role in the Challenger disaster.
- Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship named No. 1 university business incubator in the world
- "Rice ranks No. 23 on list of best graduate-level business schools". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Best Graduate Schools". U.S. News.
- "Professional MBA". Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University. 2016-02-09. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Rice to Work with 2U on Launch of Online Business 'Short Courses' -- Campus Technology". Campus Technology. Retrieved 2018-07-06.
- "Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University Launches Online MBA". Retrieved 2018-07-06.
- "MBA@Rice: Hybrid Online Degree". Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University. 2017-12-07. Retrieved 2018-07-06.
- "Update: Rice University's new online MBA program now accepting applications". bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2018-07-06.
- "Global MBA Ranking 2020". Financial Times. Retrieved January 27, 2020.
- "Best B-Schools". Bloomberg Businessweek. November 8, 2018. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- "The Best Business Schools". Forbes. 2019. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- "2019 Best Business Schools Rankings". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved September 25, 2019.