Jesse Hahn with the Oakland Athletics in 2015
|Kansas City Royals – No. 32|
|Born: July 30, 1989|
|June 3, 2014, for the San Diego Padres|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2020 season)
|Earned run average||4.12|
Jesse Allen Hahn (born July 30, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Kansas City Royals of the Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the San Diego Padres and Oakland Athletics. The Tampa Bay Rays selected Hahn in the sixth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft.
Hahn attended Fitch Senior High School in Groton, Connecticut. He pitched for the school's baseball team as a teammate of Matt Harvey. Hahn then attended Virginia Tech, and played college baseball for the Virginia Tech Hokies. In 2009, he played collegiate summer baseball with the Chatham Anglers of the Cape Cod Baseball League. He injured the elbow of his throwing arm in 2010, and underwent Tommy John surgery.
Tampa Bay Rays
The Tampa Bay Rays selected Hahn in the sixth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft. He signed with the Rays, for a $525,000 signing bonus. He did not make his professional debut until 2012 due to his recovery from Tommy John surgery. He was added to the Rays 40-man roster on November 20, 2013.
San Diego Padres
On January 22, 2014, the Rays traded Hahn and Alex Torres to the San Diego Padres in exchange for Logan Forsythe, Brad Boxberger, Matt Lollis, Matt Andriese, and Maxx Tissenbaum. Hahn was brought up from the Double-A San Antonio Missions, and made his major league debut with the Padres on June 3, 2014. He was optioned back to San Antonio the next day. He was called back up and ended the season with a 7-4 record with a 3.07 ERA in 12 starts.
On December 18, 2014, the Padres traded Hahn and R. J. Alvarez to the Oakland Athletics for Derek Norris and Seth Streich. In 2015 he was 6-6 with a 3.35 ERA, and led the major leagues in runners reaching base due to errors, with 14. In his 3 seasons with the A's, Hahn battled numerous injuries and inconsistency, appearing in only 38 starts.
Kansas City Royals
On January 29, 2018, the Athletics traded Hahn and Heath Fillmyer to the Kansas City Royals for Brandon Moss and Ryan Buchter. After experiencing some discomfort in his UCL during the beginning of spring training, the Royals placed Hahn on the 60 day disabled list to begin the season. He ended up missing the entire 2018 season. The following season, Hahn spent the majority of the season rehabbing and in the minors, appearing in only 6 games for Kansas City. Hahn was non-tendered on December 2, 2019, and became a free agent. Hahn re-signed with the Royals on a one-year contract on December 13, 2019.
- Jesse Hahn, Like Fitch Teammate Matt Harvey, Finds MLB Success - Hartford Courant
- "Major League Baseball Players From the Cape Cod League" (PDF). capecodbaseball.org. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Padres acquire pitchers Alex Torres, Jesse Hahn in trade with Rays | MLB.com
- "Baseball: Fitch graduate drafted by Tampa Bay Rays". Norwichbulletin.com. June 8, 2010. Archived from the original on September 17, 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- Rays prospect Hahn puts arm injury behind
- "Same old Jesse Hahn, finally back on the hill". Theday.com. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- Putnam, Bob (June 14, 2013). "Rays prospect Hahn puts arm injury behind". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- "Padres make several roster moves to set winter 40-man roster". San Diego Padres. November 20, 2013. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "Rays acquire Forsythe in seven-player deal with Padres | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. January 22, 2014. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- Berman, Mark (June 3, 2014). "Former Hokies pitcher Jesse Hahn set to start for Padres". The Roanoke Times. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Cates, Justion (June 4, 2014). "Hokies Baseball: Jesse Hahn Roughed Up In MLB Debut". Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Padres recall Peterson, option Hahn". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 4, 2014. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Padres trade Jesse Hahn, R.J. Alvarez to A's for Derek Norris - UTSanDiego.com". U-T San Diego. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- 2015 Major League Baseball Baserunning/Situ | Baseball-Reference.com
- Lee, Jane (January 29, 2018). "A's add Moss, lefty Buchter in deal with Royals". mlb.com. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- "Royals part ways with four players ahead of non-tender deadline". Fox Sports Kansas City. December 2, 2019. Retrieved December 2, 2019.
- Jeffrey Flanagan (December 13, 2019). "Royals re-sign Hahn to boost bullpen". MLB.com. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- A’s Jesse Hahn inspired by sister at home - SFGate